Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

QDMA announces National Deer Alliance

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Here is the release that came out after this weekend's conference...

Monday, July 28, 2014
Bookmark and Share National Deer Alliance Announced

Bogart, GA Deer hunters, conservation organizations and hunting industry companies from across North America are rapidly uniting to form the National Deer Alliance (NDA) - a new organization created to serve as the unified voice of the modern deer hunter and guardian of North America's wild deer, wildlife habitat and our hunting heritage.

While deer are clearly the most popular big game animal in North America, a disheartening one percent of deer hunters belong to a national deer conservation organization. Perhaps this is because deer, especially whitetails, have flourished in recent decades. Unfortunately, even whitetails are facing significant threats, many of which were highlighted at the first-ever North American Whitetail Summit hosted earlier this year by the Quality Deer Management Association (QDMA).

"I think it's safe to say the hunting community has taken the whitetail for granted for many years," said Brian Murphy, CEO of the QDMA. "The Summit not only raised awareness of these issues, but also led to numerous calls for our organization to establish a true umbrella organization for all deer hunters. We have accepted this challenge, formed the NDA, and are quickly building an extremely large and diverse group of supporters."

The Alliance has already garnered support from many key conservation organizations, most notably the Mule Deer Foundation. "We are honored to be a key partner of the NDA," stated Miles Moretti, Mule Deer Foundation president and CEO. "The NDA's mission is clear - to unite deer hunters like never before and harness this power to achieve positive lasting outcomes for deer and deer hunting. This is just as necessary for mule and black-tailed deer as it is for whitetails."

Membership in NDA is free and includes a comprehensive weekly e-newsletter on issues impacting deer and deer hunting in North America. When an important advocacy issue surfaces, the NDA will notify members in the affected area and mobilize their collective power to achieve positive outcomes for deer. According to Craig Dougherty, NDA Executive Director, "All you have to do is be willing to open your e-mail once a week to see what's going on in the deer world and stand up and be counted when it matters. Decisions affecting deer and deer hunting are being made every day. Hunters need to have a seat at the table. We should be able to sign up a million deer hunters. That's a pretty big gorilla to have in the room."

For more information, or to join the thousands of other hunters who are committed to preserving our deer hunting heritage, visit www.nationaldeeralliance.com

About the National Deer Alliance
The NDA is a new organization dedicated to uniting deer hunters, managers and enthusiasts like never before and harnessing this power to achieve positive outcomes for deer and deer hunting. NDA's goal is to serve as the unified voice of the modern deer hunter and guardian of North America's wild deer, wildlife habitat and our hunting heritage. NDA fuels the passion for deer hunting and conservation through engagement, fellowship, and education. For more information visit www.nationaldeeralliance.com

What is the National Deer Alliance (NDA)?
The NDA is a new organization dedicated to uniting deer hunters, managers and enthusiasts like never before and harnessing this power to achieve positive outcomes for deer and deer hunting. NDA's goal is to serve as the unified voice of the modern deer hunter and guardian of North America's wild deer, wildlife habitat and our hunting heritage. NDA fuels the passion for deer hunting and conservation through engagement, fellowship, and education.

NDA members will realize two key benefits:

NDA members will be kept informed on key deer issues in North America on a weekly basis through email, and real-time through social media and the NDA website.

NDA members will have the opportunity to have their voice heard by participating in NDA's advocacy efforts. A steering committee with broad representation will guide these efforts. When a subject of broad concern is identified, the committee will engage NDA staff and members to achieve positive outcomes for deer and deer hunting. Member engagement in advocacy will be voluntary.

Why is the NDA necessary?

Deer are the most commonly pursued and economically important big game animal in North America. However, less than 1 percent of deer hunters belong to a national conservation organization dedicated to the protection of deer and our deer hunting heritage (see the chart on the right). This lack of unity pre- vents a strong, centralized voice to address current and emerging threats such as hunter access, disease, predators, and declining deer populations. The time has come for deer hunters to organize and speak up for their rights.

Why did QDMA create the NDA?

During the inaugural North American Whitetail Summit held in March 2014, QDMA was identified as the organization best suited to form this new umbrella organization as a natural extension of our current mission.

Are NDA and QDMA the same thing?

No. While QDMA is a founding member and active supporter of the NDA,

many other groups, companies and individual deer hunters will also play vital roles. QDMA members have the option of joining NDA on their own accord.

Who will run the daily operations of NDA?

Craig Dougherty will serve as the initial Executive Director of NDA with additional support from select QDMA staff including Kip Adams and Matt Ross. Eventually, NDA will have its own staff.

Why is membership FREE?

The goal of NDA is to create the largest possible membership base by removing all participation barriers. All you need to do is say, "Yes, I believe in deer and deer hunting and want to do my part to ensure its future." Simply put, we want every deer hunter in North America to become a foot soldier for deer through their participation in NDA.

How do I get involved in the NDA?

Simply sign up for NDA's outreach network (with your name, email address and zip/postal code) and get ready to become informed and engaged. As NDA outreach tools expand, you will be notified as to how to participate in those as well.

Go to www.nationaldeeralliance.com to sign up today.

How do I get more information on the NDA?

For more information contact:

NDA Executive Director Craig Dougherty - 607-695-9004 - cdougherty@nationaldeeralliance.com Kip Adams, QDMA Director of Education and Outreach - 814-326-4023 - kadams@qdma.com Matt Ross, QDMA Certifications Program Manager - 518-391-8414 - mross@qdma.com

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I wonder if a large insurance company in Ohio will have their lawyers call the NDA and threaten frivolous lawsuits until they bankrupt them like they did me a year and a half ago when I said I was going to form this exact organization. Lol

Nice to see it's going to happen. Just goes to show you. If you fight hard, yell from rooftops, never give up, and be a thorn in the side of your enemy someone will notice a void that has the means to take it to the next level.

Now we'll just have to wait and see if they take these insurance companies, farm lobbyist, and corrupt DNRs to task on the crap they've pulled for the last 6 years.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Next year's QDMA & NDA Convention is going to be in Louisville KY so well within driving distance for many of us Ohio boys. I think the dates were tentatively in early May 2015.