Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turtle Trapping

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
DSC06956.jpgWell the DNR dicked up turtle trapping by putting the 13 inch min. size on them since the biggest i have ever caught was a couple that made it to 12 inches. Any of you guys trap turtles and do you have any luck finding any legal ones? Heres a pic of one that me and a buddy of mine caught up on the french river in canada back in the mid 90's that we put back in because we couldn't figure what to do with the big sumbitch lol. Felt like i was holding up a car battery

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Yeah you think they would want you to throw the big breeders back and keep the smaller ones. We trap creeks and there full of the smaller ones but no thirteen inchers.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
No advice on turtle trapping, but that is a nice one from the French! I went fished the French river last summer. Took a boat out and camped out on a deserted island for a week, far from anyone. The fishing was not great, but it was the most peaceful place I think I have ever been. Seeing your picture made me think of it again.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Yeah my wife was going through pics and found that one from 1994. A buddy and i went a couple years in a row back then and the fishing was hit miss and caught some nice pike. Like you say it was peaceful and the fresh air was awesome. We were on the upper french and left out of Dokis and stayed at a little cabin at Casa Blanc'a lodge. Also a Big congrats to you for signing up to serve this great country!!!

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've seen a couple articles over the years on the DNR page that led me to believe they don't exactly like the taking of turtles. They take a very long time to reach 13 inches and that's not even a 1/4 of their lifespan. I've never seen big ones up here like we have back home.