Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Joined the Guard

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Hey fellas. It has been awhile since I have been on here. Life has been very busy for me lately with not a lot of free time it seems. I just wanted to let my friends on here know that I joined the Army National Guard last month, and leave at the end of October for 18 weeks of training at Fort Benning Georgia. I know we have some prior and current military members on here and I would appreciate any advice to make it through basic. I turned 26 this month so I am going in a little later then most. I want to be as physically ready as possible before I get there.

I hope to make it to the Stroud's outing before I leave. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Seth

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Find the baddest DI there and bust him in the nose on day 1. :smiley_chinrub:good luck

at1010

*Supporting Member*
congrats and good luck! I dont know shit about the service other than I respect everyone in it! I wish you well!

God bless,

Albert

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Ahh good old Ft Benning Ga. Did my basic there. First you'll arrive at inprocessing. Typical stuff. Haircuts, uniforms, shots, dental exam, more shots, more shots, etc. I think I got 18 shots that week. If your lucky they use the guns now, but when I went it was individual shots.

Don't shave your head before you go. You'll stick out and be marked. Don't bother packing shit but what's on the list and the clothes on your back. They're going to take everything not on the list until after basic anyway and it's less you'll have to carry.

A few weeks later they'll put a bunch of you on what looks like a cattle truck and haul you off to basic. when you arrive all your DIs will be lined up on the sidewalk. Truck stops. Doors open. The screaming starts. From that very moment on follow directions. Never Stand out. And realize that no matter how great you do something, you're always a fuck up.

Don't bother practicing push-ups too much. If they say drop and give me 50 and you do it without a problem, the next time it'll be 100. If you can do 1,000, they'll make you do 1002. That's how the game is played. You can't win.

It gets better after the first few weeks. But the first few is nothing but classroom instruction. Boring as shit. You'll want to fall asleep. Don't. You will.

Chin-ups before entering the chow hall doors. if you can do 10 they'll make you do 12.

I'll post more later.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just think of any goofball who has served in the military. Take John Kerry for example: If that idiot made it through, so can you.

It is a lot of mind games. They want to break you and build you back up. Recognize, it as acting. Do you really think your DI is pissed? He probably isn't. This is his job. You could have done everything right. They are still going to find fault. Then you push. Then you get the flutterkick. Then you push. Then you run. Then you. . . . They don't really hate you. Inside they are rolling as they watch you suffer and strain. There will be one or two guys who lag behind. Those guys are the ones picked on who the DI uses as an excuse to make EVERYONE do pushups. Like Joe said, don't stick out. Don't be that guy.

Don't lock your knees in formation either. You don't want to be the guy who is locked up so tight in the position of attention, that you pass out. It will happen. Someone will fall out for no reason. That will be the reason.

Thanks for your service and good luck.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Got nothing but support for you dude. There is little on this earth that pisses me off more than being yelled at for no reason. Its not the physical part of basic that would get me, it would be the pretend assholes.

Wish you all the best and thanks for stepping up to serve our country!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have nothing to offer in the way of advice as I have never served in any branch of our military. We have many here who have and I'm sure they'll give you some great insight like Joe and Phil have already posted.

I can however offer you and anyone else signing up to protect our freedoms my most sincere thanks and support. May God watch over you and give you strength when you are faced with adversity.

Good luck Seth, hope to see you in Strouds before you ship out.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Joe and Phil pretty much covered everything. Don't volunteer for anything. Be a PT stud if you can, might as well get started now. Just do what you are told, when you are told, without hesitation. Not sure about your marital status or if you are dating anyone casually, but if it isn't a serious relationship, end it now. You don't want that shit on your mind when you are gone. You will hear about Jody. Jody is the guy who your g/f will be sleeping with while you are gone. So like I said, if its not a serious long term relationship, do yourself a favor and get out of it. While you are in those classes, and you feel yourself about to go to sleep, stand up and walk to the back of the class. Like it was stated earlier, try as you might, it will happen, you will fall asleep. What MOS if you don't mind me asking? Good luck and keep us posted.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I joined the Ohio Guard in October during my senior year of high school, left for basic 5 days after graduating in May.
During the interim, I attended drills and they also had a "pre-basic" training program. In that program you were taught how to march, how to wear the uniform, the rank insignia structure, the phonetic alphabet, and alot of the stuff you were going to learn in basic - it allowed the Ohio people to have an easier time of it when they got there. Those who had any brains didn't let on that they already knew and just kept out of trouble. Because of that basic was a lot easier.

Good luck and congratulations!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What MOS if you don't mind me asking? Good luck and keep us posted.

18 weeks at Benning. Gotta be an 11B.

One other thing. Don't be eye fuckin the DI. They're like the sun. Don't look at them. They'll try to make you. When in formation pick a spot straight ahead and burn a hole through it. When they're in your face look through them. If you even shift your eyes they'll be on you wanting to know why you're eye fuckin them.

And remember. It's nothing personal. Just their job. They have a duty to turn you into a piss and vinegar, lean and mean fighting machine.

Last edited:

Hunter II

Don't try to fake it in the gas chamber when the DI makes you take your mask off. He will make you take a breath.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Don't try to fake it in the gas chamber when the DI makes you take your mask off. He will make you take a breath.

LMAO Years and years later I remember we had carrots on the menu at lunch, 'cause a guy named Posey puked his ass off at the gas chamber and it was carrots!
Holy shit you made me remember that like it was yesterday and it was the summer of 1980

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

And at Benning they will tell you 1000 times not to run out the back door. Arms up. Mask in one hand, weapon in the other. Never fails someone hauls ass out the back door only to meet Mr. Tree not 6 feet outside. I swear they built that building that close to that tree on purpose.