Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2014 Football Journal

Buckmaster

Portage
We have the baseball journal so why not start a football journal.

This year I'm coaching Pee-Wee tackle football again. This will be my second year coaching football. My team consists of Kindergarten, First, and Second graders.
My son will be on my team as one of the first graders. After a rough beginning last year (he didn't like the contact, thus lots of tears) he ended up gaining some self confidence and became a two way starter on the line. He expects more line work this year but our coaching staff envisions some ball carrying activity from him. He's slow, but strong and powerful. At six he's already 75 pounds. We shall see.

We will play other community area schools.

First practice is Aug. 30th and carries through October....so I'll miss the first month of bow season.

Oh well, I'm growing up again....except this time I'm enjoying it with "Mini-Me".

Let the games begin........turning young boys into young Men.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I too will be coaching football again. This will be my sons first year of flag football. So I expect some tears, and some tough love. I really enjoy it. 2 years undefeated. They always give me the riff raff, and then we pummel everyone. Its great.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I love football and cant wait to follow this thread! Bitty league to High School football makes this country unique! I Love FOOTBALL!

Buckmaster

Portage
Here's a pump us sideline picture from last year. We played under the lights that game. They boys enjoyed it.

Attachments

• Football Pic Mighty Mite 2013.jpg
    Football Pic Mighty Mite 2013.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 78

Schu72

Streetsboro
Our Gridiron Club's football camp started yesterday. My younger son won the 9 year old 40 yard dash competition. He was one of a few repeat champs from last year.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good stuff Ben. I've been asked a couple times to help coach football and may do so one day. Right now, I enjoy being a fan. If I have a son someday, I'm sure I'll get involved if he wants to play. Hoping he's like me, but faster. I have great hands and was built well for a WR, just slow as hell so I played TE. Way TOO small for that! So my son better be fast or hit his growth spurt 5 years before I hit mine!

Buckmaster

Portage
Our Gridiron Club's football camp started yesterday. My younger son won the 9 year old 40 yard dash competition. He was one of a few repeat champs from last year.

Here's our boys pushing Schu's boys around.
Piece of cake :smiley_blackeye:

Attachments

• Rocket.jpg
    Rocket.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 70
Great thread buddy, it seems like yesterday my boy was that age. I loved every second of every game all the way through high school. He leaves in three weeks to start college football, I can't wait to watch him play at this level. Enjoy buddy!! Time flys!!!

Buckmaster

Portage
First practice begins tomorrow. Looks like rain is in the forecast. I get to send them home wet, sweaty, and dirty. That should separate the "boys from the boys" fairly quickly.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've been kind of holding off on posting anything about the boys until things developed and I could say for sure where they'd be playing.

Klay has won the starting QB job for the 7th grade team. He's also the starting safety.

Kody has won the starting TE and DE positions for the 8th grade. He never played a snap on defense last year, so he must've done something at practice to turn some heads.

They scrimmaged at St. Clairsville last weekend and it was a blast watching them. Klay tossed a 30 yard TD on a flag route and also ran one in from 25 yards out. He added a sack on d on a safety blitz.

Kody caught one pass for 7 yards, blocked ok, and made a few tackles.

I'm very proud of their work ethic and look forward to the rest of the season. Hopefully they hang on to their starting spots!

Buckmaster

Portage
I forgot about this thread.

I'm assistant coach for a K, 1, and 2 grade team once again this fall. I'm basically the offense and defense line coach. We have 13 boys on our team. Mostly a youthful team with only four 2nd graders. My son, is a second year player and entering as a first grader. 6 years old, 48"tall, 81 pounds, and very strong.

He was nominated as player of the game in last night's scrimmage by our head coach. He's come along way since last year. I have him at center and defensive guard, the same positions I used to play so he's been well instructed and taught so far by your's truly.

In last night's scrimmage he tore it up with 2 tackles for loss in the backfield, one stripped fumble, a multitude of tackle assists, and run hole plugging at guard. We later moved him to inside linebacker and he was making some lateral moves and tackles against the sidelines on the outside (where did that speed come from?). On offense, we plugged him at tailback on a 4th and goal situation and he accepted the handoff up the middle between center and guard, bounced off a couple of linebackers and in for a standup touchdown. Proud Pappa I am. He's come a long way since shying away from contact last year as a Kindergartener. He was almost dominate on our play field yesterday. Now that he has some additional confidence instilled within him I can't wait to see what he will do at tomorrow's scrimmage.

On the sour note...appears we only have about 4 talented kids on our team. We probably won't win too many games but we'll have fun....that's all that matters.