Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

schwacker or rage ???

higbee13

new jersey
Ive shot the old 2bladed rage witht he rubberband since it cane out and have had great succes but the blades definitely dont hold up through ribs or other bone which worries me...I still til this day have never used a schwacker and it seem every forun on other websites I see swear by them and choose schwacker over rage....so I was curious

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Neither for me. I have not shot the Schwacker, but shot Rages for a couple seasons. I'll never go back to expandables and highly recommend a high quality fixed blade. But to watch their own. Use what you're comfortable with.

runhunter

I shoot a head called the Solid legend. It's a fixed blade, very sharp, durable head, that flies great. The drawback, it's $75-$80 for 3. Many guys cringe when they hear that, but here's the good news. This will be my 3rd season with the same 3 pack, and I've used some of them a few times. I agree, anything mechanical can and will fail at some point, so I took that variable out of the equation in 2011, and won't look back.

nis1

Schwackers don't open until it's inside the deer so if you don't get a pass through you may be sol. I've never used them, that's just my 2 cents. I do use rage though and love them.

higbee13

new jersey
I love the entrance hole from rages but I heard the schwacks open inside so all the vitals are being hit by not touched blades which is awesome but the entrance hole isnt big at all ...ive shotten ton of deer with rage but 80percent of them have bent blades which means u arent gettibg that full 2inch cut after entrance

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I havnt shot either one.. I personally use the Grim Reaper BH and have had great results. I have had buy some replacement blade due to.them breaking some. But I'm sold

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Ive shot the old 2bladed rage witht he rubberband since it cane out and have had great succes but the blades definitely dont hold up through ribs or other bone which worries me...I still til this day have never used a schwacker and it seem every forun on other websites I see swear by them and choose schwacker over rage....so I was curious
When you have a broadhead with a 2"+ cutting diameter, you're going to catch bone on any shot you take. The longer blades of the Rage and Schwacker broadheads make them more prone to bending and breaking. It's just the nature of the beast shooting a mechanical head. I don't think it's reasonable to expect to reuse a large expandable broadhead multiple times without replacing blades.

With that being said, if I had to chose between only those two, it would he the rage, no doubt. If I could choose a fixed blade head or mechanical, it would be a fixed four blade head. That's just my opinion though.

higbee13

new jersey
I honestly never reuse broadheads just a quirk of mine never realy shit anything but rage in passed 5yrs n they def kill but I just kept seeing foruns n videos on these shwackers so I just wanted inputs is all if anyaone used them...you hit a deer ib the 10ring it wont matter but every advantage helps

Diablo54

Outside
I honestly never reuse broadheads just a quirk of mine never realy shit anything but rage in passed 5yrs n they def kill but I just kept seeing foruns n videos on these shwackers so I just wanted inputs is all if anyaone used them...you hit a deer ib the 10ring it wont matter but every advantage helps

Exactly so why shoot a rage? Shoulder hit with a fixed blade has a lot better chance of penetrating than a rage. Penetration is more important than a 2 inch hole. Not saying your wrong for shooting them I'm just saying lol

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I shot rages two years and lost two of the five deer I shot. One I know hit the paddle bone and it was like it hit a steel wall when it glanced off. Two of the three blades looked like I put them in a vise and bent the blades over. That was the last rage I ever put in my bow. Granted I shouldn't have made a marginal shot. But it happens if it would have been a fixed blade it would have been a dead deer. The other was a steep shot at five yards and it done the same thing off of the ribs. I should've realized not too shoot another. Last year I went with slick tricks and I also shot one with the nap hellrazers out of my crossbow. Both shoot great.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I shot rages two years and lost two of the five deer I shot. One I know hit the paddle bone and it was like it hit a steel wall when it glanced off. Two of the three blades looked like I put them in a vise and bent the blades over. That was the last rage I ever put in my bow. Granted I shouldn't have made a marginal shot. But it happens if it would have been a fixed blade it would have been a dead deer. The other was a steep shot at five yards and it done the same thing off of the ribs. I should've realized not too shoot another. Last year I went with slick tricks and I also shot one with the nap hellrazers out of my crossbow. Both shoot great.

With today's modern archery equipment I don't believe a "marginal shot" exists when talking about bone. No reason you shouldn't be able to reach vitals after hitting any bone except maybe the spine on the front half of a deer if your equipment is up to the task. In this case you blamed the broadhead and yourself for the marginal shot. In my opinion the blame lays 100% on the broadhead. A sturdy fixed blade head like the slick trick you're shooting now would have undoubtedly held together and reached vitals. That's why I don't shoot rages. If one of my target bucks is standing in front of me quartering to while I am at full draw; I'm not going to stand there wishing he would turn broadside so my broadhead can perform. I'm burying my pin on his collar bone and sending that arrow on its way with 100% confidence it's going to slam home and reach vitals. If his vitals are behind the paddle due to the shot angle, we're gonna hear it crack because I'm 100% confident that BH will make it.

Years ago I shot a smaller buck quartering away. The arrow went in behind the last rib, through vitals, busted the paddle bone and was laying on the ground where him jumping flipped it out the exit. Some guys have trouble with paddle bones on entrance. That slick trick managed to bust through on exit.

I also have another bone where a ST busted through the leg bone below the paddle maybe an inch below that big ball joint on exit and still passed through.

I shoot trick because I've seen them perform past my expectations on a rough hit. And the hole they leave is crazy compared to the size of the head.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
With today's modern archery equipment I don't believe a "marginal shot" exists when talking about bone. No reason you shouldn't be able to reach vitals after hitting any bone except maybe the spine on the front half of a deer if your equipment is up to the task. In this case you blamed the broadhead and yourself for the marginal shot. In my opinion the blame lays 100% on the broadhead. A sturdy fixed blade head like the slick trick you're shooting now would have undoubtedly held together and reached vitals. That's why I don't shoot rages. If one of my target bucks is standing in front of me quartering to while I am at full draw; I'm not going to stand there wishing he would turn broadside so my broadhead can perform. I'm burying my pin on his collar bone and sending that arrow on its way with 100% confidence it's going to slam home and reach vitals. If his vitals are behind the paddle due to the shot angle, we're gonna hear it crack because I'm 100% confident that BH will make it.

Years ago I shot a smaller buck quartering away. The arrow went in behind the last rib, through vitals, busted the paddle bone and was laying on the ground where him jumping flipped it out the exit. Some guys have trouble with paddle bones on entrance. That slick trick managed to bust through on exit.

I also have another bone where a ST busted through the leg bone below the paddle maybe an inch below that big ball joint on exit and still passed through.

I shoot trick because I've seen them perform past my expectations on a rough hit. And the hole they leave is crazy compared to the size of the head.
I took that shot this year with a 150 grain muzzy phantom four blade and lost. Won't do it again.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Ive always been a big fan of fixed blade but I tried rage hypodermic last year. I wont try another head till they fail me.

I shot a doe and made a shot a bit back, i could see blood pouring out of her, she ran to about 55 yards and stopped quarterign away. I stuck her again just to make sure I killed her as fast as possible, on the second shot, It hit her in hip, busted through it, and went up into her vitals, she died 20 yards later on a down hill run.

I am not proud of that shot or having to shoot her twice. However, I am proud to say my equipment worked fine, the hunter made the mistake. I am not saying a fixed blade woudlnt have done the same but I was impressed by the rage steel ferrel punching right through the hip bone.

PS. I did not reuse the BH I tossed it.

Albert