Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

He's Back

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
The buck I missed after my long stalk last year has returned. Im about 90% sure it was him. He's hanging out in same area as last year, feeding with a bachelor group. It was a little after 9 and he was a few hundred yards out, so I couldnt quite tell if he had the same matching split brows. If it wasnt him then there is another Slob of a buck within 100 yards of my stand setup. He looked really, really tall, and had great width as well. Cameras will be out soon. BTW, I have been seeing a bunch of shooter bucks in my core areas, maybe more than I ever have

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Forgot to update this. We decided not to put a camera up where he is right now. We did sneek in 2 Saturdays ago and put up a stand that will really offer us a great chance to access the property morning or evening with minimal impact. We just decided we didn't want to dick up the area by trying to get him on camera. I have seen him 3 times now. He's a legit mid 160's deer, Im sure of it. He has length in main beams a tremendous height. His left side though doesn't quite sweep out like the right. My 1 buddy and his boy seen him eating mid day a couple weeks ago and couldn't wait to come gush to me about the "Giant" they saw. After about 10 seconds telling me about him they knew I already had him on my radar. Good news is I have seen him there since putting the stand up. The stand itself is about 21' up a giant Cottonwood that offers a ton of cover. The property he's on has it all. It's only a 30 acre "L" shaped woods. It has a heavy creek bottom that forms the west side that runs N/S. The creek winds about 150 yards to the north to the road. To the south it meanders south out of the SW corner about 400 yards turning SW until hitting a road. It has several small inpenetrable thickets along the south side and great cover throughout the whole thing. off of the East side there is a Treeline that extends only about 50 yards out of the SE part of the "L". On the north is beans, the south is alfalfa, and about 75 yards behind me to the East is a 40 acre cornfield that has several treelines intersecting into it from surrounding farm ground. Its a large open area and when deer are moving from the surrounding properties thay naturally gravitate to the treelines and cornfield. The beauty is we have 2 great, quiet ways to access stand that will have very minimal impact. There are also several 3.5 year old bucks around that in a normal year I would probably shoot if given the chance. Most are mid 120's to maybe 130". To say Im excited about this stand is an understatement

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's awesome Ryan!!! Getting in and out without them knowing is 90% of the battle, hope you're able to get a good shot at him and get that beast on the ground!

Last edited:
Forgot to update this. We decided not to put a camera up where he is right now. We did sneek in 2 Saturdays ago and put up a stand that will really offer us a great chance to access the property morning or evening with minimal impact. We just decided we didn't want to dick up the area by trying to get him on camera. I have seen him 3 times now. He's a legit mid 160's deer, Im sure of it. He has length in main beams a tremendous height. His left side though doesn't quite sweep out like the right. My 1 buddy and his boy seen him eating mid day a couple weeks ago and couldn't wait to come gush to me about the "Giant" they saw. After about 10 seconds telling me about him they knew I already had him on my radar. Good news is I have seen him there since putting the stand up. The stand itself is about 21' up a giant Cottonwood that offers a ton of cover. The property he's on has it all. It's only a 30 acre "L" shaped woods. It has a heavy creek bottom that forms the west side that runs N/S. The creek winds about 150 yards to the north to the road. To the south it meanders south out of the SW corner about 400 yards turning SW until hitting a road. It has several small inpenetrable thickets along the south side and great cover throughout the whole thing. off of the East side there is a Treeline that extends only about 50 yards out of the SE part of the "L". On the north is beans, the south is alfalfa, and about 75 yards behind me to the East is a 40 acre cornfield that has several treelines intersecting into it from surrounding farm ground. Its a large open area and when deer are moving from the surrounding properties thay naturally gravitate to the treelines and cornfield. The beauty is we have 2 great, quiet ways to access stand that will have very minimal impact. There are also several 3.5 year old bucks around that in a normal year I would probably shoot if given the chance. Most are mid 120's to maybe 130". To say Im excited about this stand is an understatement

I hear ya, I have 2 good ones I really don't want to chance putting a cam where they are hanging. I've been watching those 2 through the binos, I know where they are at and that's all that matters to me.