Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Extra effort this year.

Ricer2231

I'm sure you all remember my posts last year about bear hunting in Maine, you probably got sick of reading them. But the relevance is as follows. Just like any time, when hunters get together stories will be told. We would all gather back at our bear hunting cabin, sometimes well after dark, to eat and tell hunting stories. My guides son, Gunner, would immediately come to the edge of his seat and perk up anytime a story was told about hunting whitetails in the Buckeye state. It was very obvious that the tales of the Ohio big bucks were of utmost interest to him and was something he would love to do. Well in April of this year I sat down and talked to Mary about having Gunner come to Ohio during my week of vacation in November to possibly chase an Ohio whitetail . I contacted Ron, Gunners dad, and proposed the idea to him and Dee his wife. He told me that himself and Dee would discuss it and get back to me. Little did I know that they would call me back with a yes answer in less than 24 hours! The plan was to give Gunner his Ohio hunting license and deer tag for his birthday in May. I Skyped him the night of his birthday so I could join in on the party and wish him a happy birthday. The awesome part was when he opened the envelope and had the puzzled look on his face as to what was he supposed to do with an Ohio license and deer tag. Then it all hit him as to the real reason I was Skyping with him and as I asked him if he thought he would be able to join me in the second week of November? I think the very best part of all was when he tried to say something and just couldn't as the tears welled up in his eyes. So I will be putting all the effort and knowledge I have, and hope to get from you all, into getting this young man on an Ohio big buck.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good stuff. I like reading stories like this. I hope the ending to this story is as good as the good gesture on your part which I just read.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
That is Awesome Don! Double the satisfaction on one deer. I really enjoy helping others get deer. I wish you the best of luck with it. :smiley_clap:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This is another reason why this site is so great. It's comprised of genuine and gracious people like yourself who continue to prove that amongst all the bad that goes on in this world that there's still some humanity and good TOO give us HOPE.

This is TOO good Don! Hope you both have a season to remember!

Huckleberry Finn

This is another reason why this site is so great. It's comprised of genuine and gracious people like yourself who continue to prove that amongst all the bad that goes on in this world that there's still some humanity and good TOO give us HOPE.

Yup

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
That is awesome stuff Don. You are a good dude, and sure you made this kid very happy already! Killing a good buck would just be icing on the cake!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Great stuff Don!

If you guys want a change or scenery, you can be to our farm in 40-45 and I'd be happy to have you guys down. Its stuff like this that really make up what this sport is all about!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio

Freaking awesome Don! God Bless you buddy!

Ricer2231

Thanks everyone. I can't wait for November TOO get here. Thanks to you TOO Jesse. I have some pretty good prospects on the properties I'm hunting this year so I would really like to get him on one of those. That's a super nice offer though.