Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Goose Hunt

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What are the thoughts on setting aside a Saturday during early season to meet up somewhere and blast some geese? I'm not much help in regards to hosting, but I'm equipped and willing to work hard. And buy beer for the host!

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I would be interested for the mere reason of hanging out with everyone and experiencing a different type of hunting. Assuming newbies are allowed.

rsmith

X3! I am going to do some waterfowl hunting for the first time and would love to learn from the more experienced

I would be interested
I have a extra Lay out blind I could bring
Also floating goose decoys , Full body , shells and sihouette goose decoys

But my problem is , I don't have any place I could hunt , where I could invite others
The Club's Marsh has a new guy in charge
So I have to play nice with him , at least for a while

John

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
the only problem with early goose season for me is they seem unpredictable they hammer one field one day, and fly 2 miles away too the next,there not consistent with all the food they have available

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
the only problem with early goose season for me is they seem unpredictable the hammer one field on day and and fly 2 miles away the next,there not consistent with all the food they have available
That and having fields ready this year. A lot went in late.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
When would we be talking? I have access to quite a few acres of corn fields but don't know the first thing about Goose hunting. Area would be Ashland Cty near Mansfield.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There should be plenty of crops available for early goose I think.

Like Mike said, its gonna be damn near impossible to plan for an early season hunt. It's a great idea and all but unless everyone can be "on call" and willing to travel with only a day or two notice it'll be quite the gamble.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Early goose is Sept. 1st to the 15th, correct? If so, the only thing that will be open around here will be hay, silage and sweet corn which are in pretty short supply.

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
Better yet do a group dove hunt,,, it would be a lot easier to setup, geese are some damn tough late season, you would definitely have to do a rotation on hunters, you can't have a bunch of blinds out

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
not really they already picked most the winter wheat around here,so it will be gone before Sept.

Most do but they've already replanted beans in those fields. Makes it damn near impossible unless you have a good hay field, which around me they could care less about. Too many people with sweet corn patches.

Damn, that really blows.

I think Mike is onto something with the dove hunt idea. Much easier to predict and if there's geese around it could be a bonus.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I've got the spot let me know more details and we will set it up

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1405362972203.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405362972203.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 144