Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2014-2015 Goals thread

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I enjoy starting this thread every year. Might be a little early but I am doing it anyway. Last year I was blessed with a fine buck. Prior to this year it has always been a goal to shoot "one bigger than I have on the wall." Might be a decade or two if this continues to be my goal. In regards to bucks, my goal is to better age deer on the hoof. If I shoot a buck I simply want 4.5yrs old or older. Forget antler size. In my opinion, 4.5 and older as a goal is pretty lofty in itself.

I would like to harvest 2 deer for the freezer.
I would like to do better in controlling the coyotes.
I would like to add more ground to hunt.
I would like to continue being thankful to our Lord for the beauty we get to see and hear while hunting.
I would like a safe season.
I would like to further nurture my son's growing love of hunting. Currently it is more of a "like" for hunting. Would like to nurture it and watch it grow on his terms if possible.

I am sure there are more but this is a good start.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I'm with you Phil. I would love too see one of my kids kill their first deer this year. And get them good opportunities at killing coyotes with the hounds. My personal goals after the kids are.
Kill a mature buck hopefully 140 or better.
Kill two mature does for the freezer.
Enjoy every minute of my time in the field since it is getting limited with running the kids and sports and such.
Regain my love for shooting a freezer full of squirrel with my kids.
And kill every coyote I lay eyes on.
And last but not least kill and trap a hundred coon.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I just want to have a fun season and really would like to get a nice buck with my recurve or at least get a shot at one whether I connect or not.
Continue to practice with my recurve so I have a chance if I get a shot.LOL
I would also like to continue taking out more coyotes with my snares which IMO is the #1 thing we can do for our deer herd.
I would also like to get my total coyote catch to 100 since I started snaring a few years ago only 14 to go.
Most of all just enjoy every day I get to be out there.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Taking my daughter out for the first time deer hunting.
Relax and enjoy my time afield.
Meat in the freezer
4.5 year old buck on the ground
A better shed season than this past season! Lol

Mine is more of a wish than a goal. I wish I could find one young man that has the passion for hunting that I do. I'd take him under my wing and enjoy the rest of my years watching him enjoy what I have been blessed to enjoy all my life. If he was truly passionate I'd probably leave him my Carroll County property when I'm gone. None of my kids, their spouses or my grandkids would want the property for hunting so I'd rather leave it to someone that would enjoy it as I have.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mine is more of a wish than a goal. I wish I could find one young man that has the passion for hunting that I do. I'd take him under my wing and enjoy the rest of my years watching him enjoy what I have been blessed to enjoy all my life. If he was truly passionate I'd probably leave him my Carroll County property when I'm gone. None of my kids, their spouses or my grandkids would want the property for hunting so I'd rather leave it to someone that would enjoy it as I have.

Dang im too old Dick.lol

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Kill one specific buck.... I've got several 3 yr olds on camera this year that will be pretty nice but I had a solid 50's class deer last year that slipped me several times. I've located him already this year and he's def BOONE! Prob is that he lives on the neighbors property currently and I need them to bugger him so that he comes back to my place to eat at my buffet so I can get a little revenge.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
have fun, zero pressure, shoot some deer. That would make me happy. I am excited for this year. I dont even know if I am going to put the cameras out.

Treed

Stark County
I just want to get better at it, to improve. I absolutely love it, to the point of obsession, but bow hunting for me has been a completely self taught process of trial and error. There's been a lot of low points and a few very high points along the way, but this year, I'd like to try get my buck before January 31st! Lol.
I'm also going to put in a small food plot at my Carroll County property in a couple weeks. There's an old overgrown logging road that my neighbor said I could use for the food plot so I'm looking forward to seeing if it will work or not.
Last on my list is getting my kids in the blind with me. Last season I took both of them out separately but we didn't see deer on either outing. Hopefully we can get it done with the kids there this year. They both want to be there to see the whole experience, field dressing and all.
Man, I can't wait to climb a tree!

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

That's the ultimate pay it forward right there TOOville!!!!!!!
Say an awful lot about you Dick, glad to have you in among us buddy!

rsmith

Two does and a buck for the freezer. Preferably the buck i shot and tracked last year that survived. Getting excited for sure.

Hopefully he made it Joel! It was such a emotional roller coaster to read about. Hopefully you will get him this year!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'm going to hold out for a buck over 130" with my bow. I have a couple properties that have some real nice bucks and as long as I don't fugg anything up I should have a good chance. I want to lower the coon population on and around our land as well as other properties. And the yotes, can't forget about those, I snared my first 2 last winter (got a late start), 10 is my goal for this year. Last but not least, my buddies son is 6 and he really wants me to take him deer hunting. So my goal is to get him his first deer!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Hopefully he made it Joel! It was such a emotional roller coaster to read about. Hopefully you will get him this year!

Thanks! I've got the cam out with a salt block so we'll see if he shows up. I'm sure the are other big deer in the area but he is at the top of my list if I can find him and get a second chance.