Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cap and ball pistols.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm looking to buy a working replica of a Griswold & Gunnison revolver. Not knowing much about manufacturers like Uberti etc (who doesn't even make one) I figured I'd ask here first as we have people like Sam who knows far more than I. Odds are it'll be in a shadow box on the wall with its period accessories, but i'd like a functioning one as they're nice to look at but it would also be fun to shoot.

I'd like it to be a near replica as far as weight and balance but I know that'll likely be difficult as they weren't made with the best quality materials. And any modern gunsmith would be nuts to use the same in a newer functioning replica. But is like it to be close to include the reddish color to the brass frame. Let me know what y'all think.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Here's a nice one from Cabela's. If they sell it I would say it's as good as it'll get.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pietta-Griswold-and-Gunnison-Caliber-Revolver/1167468.uts

Thanks. Reading reviews it seems like Uberti used to make one back in the 60-70s. People said the Pietta model was nice but nothing like the Uberti though. Seems like that's the only maker I can find for now. Probably because the Gunnison was just a clone of the 1852 Colt Navy but with a brass receiver due to quality steel shortages in the south at the time. That and it's in 36 cal and not 44 like the colt. Again. Steel. The original Gunnison used cast iron for the cylinder that couldn't handle the 44 pressures.

Last edited:
The cabelas pietta griswold is probably the closest to the prototype you will find. At least as as far as the frame and barrel being the correct size and shape. A lot of reenactors strip the blueing of them because g&g never produced blued guns. Only the late production prototypes had the reddish/pink frames due to the high copper content in the brass alloy. Also the pietta has a case colored ram rod assembly. The prototype would have been a unfinished.
So basiclly buy the pietta griswald and strip the blueing off of the barrel. Remove the fake case harding. The frame will tarnish to a dull gold color in the humid air. Strip and refinish the stocks with lineseed or tung oil. If you really wanted to get crazy about it you could have a gunsmith fill the roll stamps and electo acid ecth period ones on to it.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Thanks for the info guys. I spent quite a bit of time looking for one online tonight. I'll track one down eventually or wait for that Cabelas gun to go on sale. On a side note I did buy a 1851 Confederate Navy as it was on sale from $249 to $149. That's a deal I couldn't pass up! The 1851 Colt Navy is the gun Griswold copied when making his so It'll be nice to have the pair eventually.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Piet...r+Revolver&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Looks like High Standard made a limited run of griswolds in 1974. The cylinders, barrels, fit and finish were done by Uberti. Basically high standard made a bunch of grips and frames. Lol. I can't see dropping the 3-400 on one though as I don't necessarily want a really finished one as I'm sure high standard finished the gun 500 times better than Griswold ever did.. As far as I can tell only three companies have ever cloned them. Uberti, High Standard, and Pieta with the latter being the only still in production. I'll see how this 1851 confederate is when I get it in and maybe go with the pieta one when Bella's has it on sale.

Last edited:
Cap and ball revolvers are fun to shoot and surprisingly accurate. I owned 2 in .44 caliber. One was an open cylinder frame and the other was the Ruger New Army. Both revolvers shot well, but any "closed frame", like the Ruger or Remington will have better accuracy, last longer and not become prone to timing issues with the cylinder.

I've always wanted a Colt Walker replica, but they're not known for their accuracy.

Another issue is that you're going to have filthy dirty hands, while shooting a revolver at the range. It goes with the weapon.

Bowhunter57

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Cap and ball revolvers are fun to shoot and surprisingly accurate. I owned 2 in .44 caliber. One was an open cylinder frame and the other was the Ruger New Army. Both revolvers shot well, but any "closed frame", like the Ruger or Remington will have better accuracy, last longer and not become prone to timing issues with the cylinder.

I've always wanted a Colt Walker replica, but they're not known for their accuracy.

Another issue is that you're going to have filthy dirty hands, while shooting a revolver at the range. It goes with the weapon.

Bowhunter57

It's a blast to shoot. Since it's brass framed I only shooting 15gr of fff. Really gives you a new understanding of how it was back then. Imagine being on a civil war battlefield with this slow loading, power lacking bastard. But they were thankful to have them. A repeater or revolver at that time was a good thing to have. Crazy how far we've come.