Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sight feedback

gavennn

I recently bought an Energy 35. I have everything bought with the exception of the sight. I am curious what sights you guys are shooting, and why you picked them. I am considering currently something in the Black Gold line up and the Sword Maximus 5 pin.

Appreciate any feedback you guys can provide on those sights, or the site your using and the advantages and disadvantages of them.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sorry, I'm not much help as I haven't used either sight you mentioned but I'm sure several guys here can give you some great info.
I have a Spot Hogg hunter and love it though.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I custom built a Spot Hogg Hogg-It and absolutely love it. I did months of research and held quite a few sights before deciding the quality of the SH was where it was at. The ability to customize to my specs was great also. The pins adjust in a way I'm comfortable with and are plenty bright in low light situations. My biggest issue with sights in the past has been breaking pins by getting brush caught in the sight. SH protects their pins as well as anyone on the market.

I bought the last sight I may ever need and that makes me pretty happy!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am NOT the expert here. I looked into the Black Gold line of sights though and was impressed. Never ended up buying one or using one though. I also looked really hard at the Spothogg sights and really liked them as well. They are built like tanks. Ended up getting an Armortech simply because I felt it was comparable and I got a great buy on a "used" on which had never been used off AT. If budget is a concern, I also run a Sword Twilight on my old bow. It has been pretty good to me. Difference being the pins do not adjust quite as easily. Pins are a bit dainty compared to Spothogg or Excel Armortech. I have had them bend a little dragging it in/out of the woods/brush. I put a lot of hours on stand so I do feel mine gets some abuse compared to a guy who spends more time at the range or fewer trips in/out of the woods. Abuse is probably harsh, but wear and tear from field usage is probably more accurate. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. Plenty of guys out there shooting "cheapy" sights and still killing deer. If your shots are 30yds or 40yds and under, I don't think there will be a massive difference. That said, I exerted a ton of time and research before I bought mine. I know what you are going through. lmao

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I shopped them all and ended up with a 4 pin Black Gold Ascent. Love it for the most part.

Here is how I break down ones I have used.

Best value for dollar...Sword Apex 3D.

Best sights...Black Gold, Axcel, and Spot. I really like the CBE sights but the TEK Hunter felt chincy.

My $0.02

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I shoot with an Axcel Armortech HD and I'm a big fan of it. Built solid and rugged. Like Jesse's SH, I got my Axcel custom built with 4 green pins... Top being a .019 and the bottom three being .010's. Love the sight. If I were to buy a new sight right now it'd either be Spot Hogg or Axcel.

Ricer2231

I shoot with an Axcel Armortech HD and I'm a big fan of it. Built solid and rugged. Like Jesse's SH, I got my Axcel custom built with 4 green pins... Top being a .019 and the bottom three being .010's. Love the sight. If I were to buy a new sight right now it'd either be Spot Hogg or Axcel.

I shoot the exact same sight and love it. Rock solid and would buy the exact same thing if I were looking.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
As far as pins go, I would definitely buy one that has smaller pins as they go down. My current sight doesn't have them, but I'll be buying one with that option this year. I guess it all depends on budget and what feels the best.

patmc81

Got a custom black gold ascent 3 pin and love it. By the way I also have a energy 35! Great bow

patmc81

As far as pins go, I would definitely buy one that has smaller pins as they go down. My current sight doesn't have them, but I'll be buying one with that option this year. I guess it all depends on budget and what feels the best.
I did this .019 than 2 .010

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
In regards to cost, my honest opinion is you should spend as much as necessary to purchase high quality equipment to put on that bow. You have a top end precise machine and it deserves the best. Dropping north of 2 bills can happen pretty easy, but the sights in that range are well worth the money.

I will also say the Axcel sights are badass. I almost bought one, but liked the look of the SH better, so I went that route. But the Armourtech HD sights are really nice.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I'm a spot Hogg shooter. There are lots of plus and minuses to each site but so far my investigation and field experience have proven the investment in a spot Hogg was well founded. I have had my site for 6 years and don't see a need to but another one any time soon. Please get a large guard and if you do go with the Micro pin size don't get green as it will not show up very well in low light even with a wrap. I used to think that I needed smaller long range pins as previously mentioned but now I have changed my mind.

gavennn

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I was down to the Spott hogg and Black Gold. I ended up with the Black Gold. Lifetime guarantee hard to pass up.