Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hay making time

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A good neighbor cut my hay today and will round bale it on Friday. Then I'll bring it home from across the road. The one neighbor gives me the hay free and I only have to pay to have it cut and baled. That's about 50% off the cost. He doesn't have to mow so much that way.
I gave the neighbor a free brick of 500 rounds of 22LR today. He said he couldn't find any in the stores and his grandkids are old enough now to shoot. He was tickled.
Good neighbors are hard to find. We had to break in 2 new neighbors across the road in the last 12 months. Told them both we shoot a lot but always safely. They seemed to except that.

Buckmaster

Portage
Both my neighbors suck as I've lived here 1.5 years and have a hole in my house after 4 months of living here. Both shoot often.
One has a pending offer on their house so that may be good.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like a hell of a deal for hay lol. And yea good neihbors are hard to come by.

Helps the neighbors out with their land Ag tax exemptions since they do nothing else with their large lots. Been doing it for about 15 yrs. now.
Due to building codes here building lots have to be 200 ft. wide and 5 ac. if the soil doesn't test out for a septic tank. Almost none of the lots test OK for septic tanks so they need 5 ac. with a holding pond. Almost everyone who builds around here has to have a arobic system 2 septic tanks and a holding pond if you don't have a natural creek on you property to drain into.
Lucky everything is built up around here with and only one building lot left on the road 1/2 mile away. I do have 3 building lots but I won't sell any unless I would need for medical expenses.
When I built I ran a solid septic line from my septic tank down to my bottom pasture field and put in a leach line. One of the few leach lines in the neighborhood.
Yes good neighbors are hard to come by. We got rid on one really bad neighbor across the road that the Sheriff was looking for all the time. One night a Sheriff chopper was searching my farm for the neighbor. They had the chopper up for about 16 hrs. then sent up a fixed wing plant all the next day. The guy was hiding in the house all the time. Lucky he's gone now about 6 yrs. and have a good neighbor that helps out all the time now. And he and the kids deer hunt to.

Huckleberry Finn

Do you feed livestock?

Last weekend it seemed like everyone up at my parents was cutting, raking, or baling their first cutting. Heck, last week down by Chillicothe, there were folks taking wheat off already!

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Baling is nothing but work. We have baled about 60 acres of straw since last Thursday and 100 or so yet to go hope to be done over the weekend. We have a 300 head steer barn at my buddies place. So I know all about baling lol. We use the big squares. I couldn't imagine baling 200 acres of small bales like we used too. I'm too old for that chit now a days.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Do you feed livestock?

Last weekend it seemed like everyone up at my parents was cutting, raking, or baling their first cutting. Heck, last week down by Chillicothe, there were folks taking wheat off already!

I have 4 head of cattle left. I have the whole farm fenced into pasture that's usable. I do it for family meat only and it gives me something to do. I even went to hand feeding the hay during the winter so I can get out each and every day. The family thinks I'm a little crazy for doing it but hell I already knew that.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I hauled 9 round bales home from next door 5 ft. in size. They have 2 small patches to do yet and didn't want to get in their way. Only got 3 bales out of my front part and normal year is 5. Hope it picks up over there.

I ended up with 17 bales total and the same as last year. I had 6 bales left over from last year. I'm a little short by 3-4 bales but I do have less cattle this year and depends on the snow as I have plenty of pasture until the snow cover it up.

Good to be done. The crazy drivers on the road I only have 1/4 mile to travel and can see the one way for one mile and a blind hill at my driveway the other way. I drive down the left side of the road for the 1/4 mile and I swear when some of the people come across the blind hill and see me in the left lane going the same way they have no idea what to do. Glad to be done.

Last edited: