Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phil's 2014 picture thread

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure how active this one will be. I have two cameras out. Not much desire to put many more out. My only reason for trail cameras this year is to get some inventory. It will tell me which properties I feel safe to shoot a doe. Buck pictures will be a bonus and a little motivation prior to season.

That said, I pulled my first card in over a month today. I have one set of twin fawns. Very disappointing to only see two fawns. There are several small bucks. One buck could be a shooter next year or the year after.

Then I found this fella. Tired from sorting thru pics. Not going thru old pictures tonight. I do think I recognize him though. I believe I got pictures either last year or the year before. Not sure if he is 3.5 or 4.5. I think it will be interesting to see where he ends up in the antler department regardless of age. He has character. I like him.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Looks like a good deer to me...hope he finishes up where you would like! Keep the drive alive!

I believe in my area I have 3 different does on cam and only one has had fawns in tow...twins to boot. I know what you mean when you say it is dissappointing.

Like the others...excited with you to see how that deer grows and watch you put together the history with him.

That's going to be a nice one Phil, as far as the does and fawns go keep your chin up. This time of year the does and the fawns tend not to travel much, there are more around than you think.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's going to be a nice one Phil, as far as the does and fawns go keep your chin up. This time of year the does and the fawns tend not to travel much, there are more around than you think.

This is a good point. Hopefully we will start to see them move around more.

He'll be a thumper if he heads your way during bow season Phil. Good luck

Thanks all! Tagged a dandy last year. I am good for awhile. I am thankful just to sit in the woods and enjoy it all. I don't have TV show footage to get or anything. I just need to keep me happy. lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wasn't planning on hanging anymore cameras at this time. Hung 5 on one property at the request of a friend. Put some in areas we have never hung them. Should be interesting. We don't check them often on this property. Last year we checked one in September and never pulled it until Feb. Haha. We knew what was in there. Was nice to get some pictures of the bucks we killed after they were at the taxidermist.

I went thru last years pics on my phone tonight. Pretty sure the buck in this thread is one from last year I passed on my first hunt. Well. . . .didn't truly have a great shot. I saw him up close though. Guess that isn't technically a pass. Lmao

If same deer, last year I would say low to mid 130's. 5x6 frame with a split brow on one side. This year has triple brows on each side. Going to be fun watching him grow!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here are last year's pictures. Not 100% sure it is the same deer. Similar deer. Very similar. Using the same area and same mineral lick. I realize the pictures I have of him thus far are not the best to compare. I am able to zoom in pretty good and lighten/brighten the pics. Not sure how to save and edit, crop, etc., to share those versions. Guess you will have to wait until I get some better pictures. I feel he was probably a 3.5yr old last year. Possible 2.5, but I don't think so. That would put him at 4.5 this year. In a perfect world I would love to wait and see what he turns into. In a realistic world, I would have to say he is getting an arrow given the chance. Unless he is a severe disappointment when I see him on the hoof, I suspect he will be a "Hicks List" buck this year.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Could be him Phil, time will tell! If it is he'll be a beast this year.

That is what I am hoping. Wondering what average jump is on deer? I hear 10-20% increase, then others say 25-30%. Even a 10% increase would put him close to 150". If 4.5yrs old, I don't care if he is 140 or 160". He would be a trophy to me.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
That is what I am hoping. Wondering what average jump is on deer? I hear 10-20% increase, then others say 25-30%. Even a 10% increase would put him close to 150". If 4.5yrs old, I don't care if he is 140 or 160". He would be a trophy to me.

Back in 2011 my buddy shot a big boy that grossed 177 and netted 169. He grew 13 inches of antler on one side from the year before. If you figure he added that much on the other side, plus spread, thats a huge increase.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
That buck was nice last year Phil. If he made it he will definitely be a shooter for our neck of the woods. Good luck with him. I need to get my cams up. But can't find the time. I'm thinking this week.