Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

When to start filling up feeders?

Strother23

Columbus, OH
So in the spring I built a 55gallon gravity feeder for deer. I put it out there in April so the deer can get used to it being there. The question is when should I start filling it with corn or powders? The is the first time Ive messed with feeders.when do you guys start filling yours? I want to
He deer to get used to coming to it for hunting season but I don't want coons to clean me out a bunch prior to season starting.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You using it to kill deer or just feed them and get pics?

If you haven't ran it, be ready to spend a pretty penny on corn. Deer will spend all night near that thing and quickly eat you out of house and home. I hate to break it to you if you plan to hunt over it, but the chances of killing a nice buck over it are slim to nill.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I planed to use it mainly for trying to keep tabs on the shooter bucks in the area and to try and keep deer on the property. It would be nice to be able to get a kill by the feeder but that's not my main plan. I was thinking filling it 3-4 weeks before season starts. I can get corn for 6$/50lbs. I thought that wasn't a bad deal.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I run two feeders year around. I turn the spinners down to 2 or 3 seconds in the summer though. Both are also in non-trophy areas as well. I also put a coon guard made out of 1" fence around the spinner to keep them out.. They WILL SPIN it and empty your drum.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Zip tie carpet tack strips the the poles.

That's a solid price on corn. The problem with gravity fed feeders is deer can eat whenever. Mature bucks are nocturnal by nature, so gravity feeders encourage that. Timed feeders create competition for food which can drive deer to it against their better instinct. Best thing to do is get as far from the corn towards bedding as possible and try to cut bucks off as they take their time getting there. If you have a good oak flat 100 yards or better from the corn, focus on that area in late October.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I'm sorry ....I totally missed it wa.s a gravity feeder. My buddy had to use the razor wire strips and they seem to work fairly well. The tack strips are cheaper though

Last edited:
My feed site is close to a bed area I run a timed feeder. In the spring and summer I feed them record rack it's a high protein feed along with a mineral site. I get a lot of pictures of deer, even mature bucks in there mid day through the summer. The deer tend to stage up there in the evenings and hit on the way back in the morning. I fill it with corn when the fields are down and it's cold they need the carbs to keep warm. This has worked well for me, we aren't killing them right on the feeder but in the general area. The deer hunting gods have blessed my son and I the last several years. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404952279.715205.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1404952291.706982.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1404952303.759730.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1404952319.605672.jpg

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I'd say that it has worked for you guys. Thanks for the advice.That is a nice buck right there. I'm hoping I'm gonna have one like that on my trail cam when I check it this coming weekend. I also have to replenish my mineral site. They are starting to tear up the dirt now.

Thanks guys, those pics are from 2012 and are of 3 dif bucks. The first two pics are the same deer, my son killed the big boy in the last pic.