Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Another article in our local paper

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio's deer hunters may soon have the opportunity to learn for themselves whether silence truly is golden.

The state is inching toward accepting the use of silencers -- a term that is the technical equal to suppressors, according to the National Rifle Association. Under consideration is a proposal to allow the use of these devices.

Leading the exchange in favor of silencer allowance is the Buckeye Firearms Association which has been giving the state legislature an earful on the subject. While Ohio does allow firearms owners to possess silencers, it is one of 10 states to also prohibit their use while hunting.

Based on the latest Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives statistics there are currently 10,407 licensed silencers in Ohio. Texas has the most with 47,712 and Rhode Island the least with 27.

Will silencers help deer hunters?

"I really don't think it's going to make much of a difference one way or the other," said Mike Tonkovich, deer management supervisor. "Maybe it's just a novelty."

Potential owners should understand that owning a silencer can be more of a curse than a help. They cost anywhere from $300 up to $2,500 and even more. They require constant maintenance and attention, and can uglify some firearms, critics say. The devices are sometimes likened to hunks of cast iron sewer pipe at the end of a barrel.

But it's entirely possible that they may become part of a hunters arsenal and that day may come soon.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
IMHO they are long over due. We must all remember crooks and poachers do not follow the law of the land. So I see no problem with poachers using them.
1. To legally own a suppressor you must have a background check and be OK'd by the ATF and have it registered.
2. Suppressors are rather expensive in cost and a once in a live time ATF tax stamp of 200.00 for each suppressor.
3. A illegal suppressor is really a serious matter if you are caught with one.

So I see real no real problem with suppressors in the hunting field. I agree a suppressor isn't for everyone.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
My brother has one for his AR. He waited almost a year to get it. I don't think this will be a problem because I don't think many people will invest in one.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Why allow them? What pressing need is there to permit something like this? I see it as just another way to promote the killing of deer, one that is not necessary.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Can a person silence a shotgun or PCR?

A PCR to a degree if kept below 950 FPS. But it's still quite loud.
I know a guy who has a suppressor on a 12 ga. shotgun and there is no difference in sound. They manufacture suppressors and they just had to try it. Well it didn't work as it will rattle my windows 700 ft. from where they shot it.

Suppressors only are with no noise in the movies. LOL.

I don't see the need for it either, if it's with in 100yds it's dead anyways, totally silencing a slug gun or smoke pole is not going to be possible or worth the money. It's about the dumbest idea I have heard in awhile.

Hunter II

After many ear infections as a toddler my 15 year old is very sensitive to muzzle blasts. He would appreciate being able to reduce the noise while hunting.