Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Never squirrel hunted before

Steelheadtracker

Hello I am planning on squirrel hunting my In laws property (first time hunting squirrels) which is over run with squirrels when the season starts. I was just wondering if there are any tips you guys have. Also is it good eating? Thanks guys!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Hunt the shag bark hickory's first. They should hold the most squirrel when season starts. The grays are the best eating , but the fox squirrels are too, they need more boil time for tenderness.
Welcome to TOO.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
It's addicting and if you have kids, they'll love it TOO. This past season was my and my son's first time and we had a blast.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If you like a challenge use a pellet rifle,.17 or a .22 and aim for the head. Less mess and you won't chop down on a hidden buckshot pellet. It's very difficult during early season but if you're patient and the woods in truely overrun with them you should have no problem.

Just boil the fox squirrels an hour longer than the grays to soften them up then cut and quarter them. Roll in flour and pan fry in skillet with real butter or crisco on medium heat till they're crispy on each side. I season with Lawreys and bkack ground pepper. Use dripping for the gravy and smother some candied yams or mashed taters with it. Enjoy and good luck!

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't have the patience to wait for head shots in early season and usually take the 12 gauge with me. Come late season I'll break out the sniper rifle!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Welcome to TOO. I can set in my hunting tower in the woods and shoot all the grays and fox squirrels I want. But no one in the family will clean or eat them. But I'll try the boiling this year. Good luck.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
LOL that's because you are looking for another reason to shout "take 'em"!!

HA. We are infested with grackles right now. I just stand on the back deck and fire rounds at will. Remi goes and gets them like a pro, cracks me up! I went home at lunch and shot two sitting there eating leftover pulled pork! lmao

Steelheadtracker

Another question I have is I saw a video where the guy said he soaks the squirrel after it's skinned and gutted in water for 24 hours. Do you guys recommend this? Thanks again for your time!

Probably wouldn't hurt to soak them. If you do use a shotgun on them you want to really inspect the meat over well for pellets that may be hidden in the meat. That's one reason I generally only shoot them with a .22 any more. We have cooked them a few ways in the past. Like others, one way is to boil them for a while then brown on the grill with BBQ sauce. Also a crock pot is really a good way to go. Just pile the pieces in there, add Lipton Onion Soup Mix and cover with water. Let them cook all day and you will be able to pull out the bones. Great way to make stew. Finding all the little bones can be fun though, may need a strainer to pour the broth through back into a pan. Then sort through the meat pulling anything out that you cannot eat. After it's all back in the pan then add your potatoes and carrots, I recommend boiling them first to soften and then add.

Steelheadtracker

Thanks for the help! I'm probably going to go with my .22 so I Don't have to pick out pellets. Do you guys cut the meat off the bones at all prior to cooking? The reason I ask is it's going to be hard to get my wife to taste it especially if she sees me pulling bones out of it in the cooking process lol.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I highly recommend. Once your squirrels are skinned. I quarter them and put them in salt water in the fridge over night. This draws the remaining blood out of them. Then I par boil them for a couple hours, changing the water as it cooks. Boil till you can stick a fork easily in it . Pick the meat off the bone, dust with flower. Pan fry in butter, salt and pepper to your taste. Make a gravy with the drippings with flour, milk and or water. Bake some bisquits or candy some sweet potatoes and pour the gravy over either. Sit back and enjoy a good college football game and indulge.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Sorry for the stupid questions.

No stupid questions! I'll be squirrel hunting this fall for the first time and your questions sure have been helpful to me.

Welcome to TOO!

Thanks for the help and good luck Diane! Also, how do you recommend keeping squirrel for consumption at a later date?

I used to always freeze them in water. Put them (whole or quarters) in a Ziploc and add enough water to cover them for the most part. Lay flat in the freezer and just observe to make sure you don't have meat out of the water before you leave them in there.