Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Muti pin vs single pin sight??

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I have to get a new sight before season starts. I have stripped out an adjusting screw and now my sight moves left/right really easy. Just looking for some feed back I have a 4 pin now. It worked well but I'm considering going to a 5pin or a single pin. Pros and cons about the different sights please

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I don't see much of a con to a multi pin sight, unless you plan on shooting 3D or long distances. The cons I see to a single pin sight and hunting is trying to adjust it and get the shot off in time.

With that being said, you could always go with the best of both worlds and get a multi pin slider, like Spot Hogg makes. There is also the G5 sight that has several fixed pins and one adjustable floater pin for longer distances. I just ordered a Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg with a three pin head. That will allow me a 30, 40, and 50 yard pin, as well as the flexibility of a slider sight for shooting those longer distances.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I don't see much of a con to a multi pin sight, unless you plan on shooting 3D or long distances. The cons I see to a single pin sight and hunting is trying to adjust it and get the shot off in time.

With that being said, you could always go with the best of both worlds and get a multi pin slider, like Spot Hogg makes. There is also the G5 sight that has several fixed pins and one adjustable floater pin for longer distances. I just ordered a Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg with a three pin head. That will allow me a 30, 40, and 50 yard pin, as well as the flexibility of a slider sight for shooting those longer distances.

I have this sight and love it. It has 3 fixed pins which I set at 20,30 and 40. The floater moves with a dial and can be set at increments out to 100. In it's rested position it's my 50 pin.

The only disadvantage to multi pin sights can be picking the wrong one but if you've already used them before you likely knew that. Like mentioned above, a single can be a hassle IMO getting it set right for where the deer is, but then again I've never used one to know how bad that can be. I love the ability to reach out to longer yardages in practice but at the same time I didn't want a sight full of pins. That's when I bought the G5 Optix XR and absolutely LOVE it. It has 3 pins you set and a fourth that is movable and it has a sight tape you can mark for the longer distances. The only thing I would change on it is make the moveable pin a smaller diameter, they're all .019". I know new they are pricey but you can often find someone selling theirs on ArcheryTalk.

I shoot a multi pin mover site. Its the best of both worlds because I have 5 known distance pins. Then I also have a nob to adjust the sight to a exact distance and or shoot pass 60 yards. Mine is a montana black gold ascent with .010 pins. I also recommend the cbe tekhunter. If you do get the black gold I will warn you that their pins are super bright and to get a size smaller than you would normally get.

Last edited:

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Thanks for the help.. I will def looking into the muti pin sights with a slider at the bottom. I just like to idea of a slider so I can practice those far shots.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I echo what the others have said. Killing mature whitetails is hard enough without having yo remember to move a pin or limiting yourself to a fixed (short) range. I learned to shoot using multiple pins and it is second nature, so there's little worry of picking the wrong one. IMO, a single pin can be a bigger handicap than a help.

Ricer2231

I echo what the others have said. Killing mature whitetails is hard enough without having yo remember to move a pin or limiting yourself to a fixed (short) range. I learned to shoot using multiple pins and it is second nature, so there's little worry of picking the wrong one. IMO, a single pin can be a bigger handicap than a help.

What he said.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Anyone have or used Sword Sights. I was looking at the Sword Twilight Hunter. Any feedback would be appreciated. I just stumbled across it online. I've never seen them before.
Thanks

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Anyone have or used Sword Sights. I was looking at the Sword Twilight Hunter. Any feedback would be appreciated. I just stumbled across it online. I've never seen them before.
Thanks

Had the Sword Apex and cannot complain at all once it's price is considered.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Like Beentown, pretty nice for the price. I have one on my "backup bow." When the "new" bow was in the shop last year it helped me kill my doe just like all the years before.

Last edited: