Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Season might be over before it starts

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Well guys and girls like the title states I might not be bowhunting this year.. I had an injury at work early Wed morning and might have ripped/torn my bicep muscle where it attaches to my shoulder. 2 drs and a PT all told me to call the Orthopedic Dr and get an MRI.. They don't want me risking PT and injuring it more if it is ripped or torn.. If that's the case and I do need surgery I don't know recovery time or if I will even be able to pull my bow.. And since I mainly hunt in KY I would have to send an application to Frankfort to get the crossbow permit and from what I have heard that takes a while.. Either way I'm hoping that it's not and that PT will fix the issue. For whatever reason I always think/plan for the worst and hope for the best..

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Surgery and recovery is about 6 months. Going thru the same crap here and it has already been 6 months and have not had any surgery yet. Company and BWC red tape crap is a nightmare.

Hope it turns out to be something that will just take some time and PT or OT to fix man.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Damn that's a rough break. I wish you the best.

However look into a Draw-Loc attachment for you bow. It bolts right on your bow and turns you regular bow into a vertical crossbow. That way when you heal up you can take it off and hunt with your regular bow.
That's what I use as I have MS and no longer can pull a bow.http://www.drawloc.com/

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
File the paperwork ASAP. "I can't" never accomplished anything Good luck with the injury....hope you get back to normal fast.

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Ouch 6 mos!! That really makes me hope non surgical!! I hope u get your red tape cut soon and get taken care of!

I will look into the drawloc and to see if it's legal down there.

I have to have paperwork from the doc first before I can file but if he or she gets it to me I will file it ASAP.. U right can't never could till he tried.

Thanks guys I will keep ya posted..

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang Chris!!!!! Sorry to hear this! Man, you've had some major drawbacks this year but I know you well enough that you'll get through it somehow or someway!
Good luck and don't hesitate to give me a call if I can help in someway.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hate to hear this Chris. Best of luck healing up and getting whatever help you need on the hunting front. You are always welcome to come up here to my neck of the woods. Plenty of places to get you in the woods for the weekend.

Hang tough dude!

Ricer2231

Hate to hear this bud. My daughter had this procedure and a couple others done on her shoulder all at the same time and was back to 90% in 4 months. Hopefully you can cut through the BS and get it done and on the road to recovery soon.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Had the same injury at the end of last season. Torn bicep tendon and Labrum tendon, surgery requires small anchors to be put in your should relocating the tendon and about 4-6 months of recovery. After 4 months you should be able to pull a bow back but def not what you used to. I switched from 71lbs to 65lbs, and have kept it that way just to eliminate the extra stress on my shoulder. If you have to use and Xbow for a year, so be it.... at least your in the woods! DONT take up duck hunting.... you'll never deer hunt again!!! rotflmao

Treed

Stark County
Sorry to hear this. I broke my hand in five places a few years back and wound up hunting that season with a crossbow, it wasn't so bad. Hopefully you can get a permit.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
If you have to use and Xbow for a year, so be it.... at least your in the woods!

Yep...

Like Rick said, file that paperwork ASAP. Take care of your body first and foremost so that it heals right. Then do what ever it takes to be in the woods. I just know if it was me, that's what I would do.

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Thanks yall!! I really appreciate it.. I go to the Ortho tomorrow and hopefully find out the extent of it.

Thank you for all of the offers I will definatly let yall know if I need anything!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Thanks yall!! I really appreciate it.. I go to the Ortho tomorrow and hopefully find out the extent of it.

Thank you for all of the offers I will definatly let yall know if I need anything!

Depending on how bad the tear is, you'll get two options.... surgery or rehab. I've known a lot of people with this tear and only a couple regained their mobility back to 95-100% after surgery, but a lot more regained their mobility without surgery and rehab. Those anchors screw with your range of motion bc they have to relocate the tendon. Best of luck!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Depending on how bad the tear is, you'll get two options.... surgery or rehab. I've known a lot of people with this tear and only a couple regained their mobility back to 95-100% after surgery, but a lot more regained their mobility without surgery and rehab. Those anchors screw with your range of motion bc they have to relocate the tendon. Best of luck!

Depending on what one of the bicep tendons it is he will not need the anchors and the tendon can be cut and just left alone. Only drawback to that is the risk of what they call popeye arm.
The risk you run into with getting the anchors is the recovery time is longer and have a higher risk of tearing the tendon a second time because they have to shorten the tendon and fold it over to attach to the anchor.

Last edited: