Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opinions please: is this COTW or NOT?!?!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Two weeks ago I lopped off about 2' of this shagbark hickory stump. The tree was struck by lighting about 4-5 years ago and I fell it back then but left the stump. Since I cut it off not 2 weeks ago this big cluster of fungus just grew out of nowhere. There are two other smaller clumps on the other side of this stump about 3-4 feet away.
Ron and I believe that when I cut this stump there were spores inside the bark(between the bark and punky outer trunk) that were spread or dispursted. There was like a dusty black mold on the inside surface of the bark that fell off the piece that I cut off. Is this mold like stuff spores?

Here is the big clump of what we believe is "Chicken of the Woods". A variation of "Hen of the Woods".

Here is a close up pic

Here is a pic I found on Google of COTW

If in fact this is COTW and I'm able to make the TOO Bowshoot/Campout I will be bringing a bunch of this to share. Dipping some slices of this delicacy in some Weisenbergers fish batter with some warm Busch and deep fried sounds pretty dang good.....TOO good if you ask me!

Just want to make sure its in fact edible and safe for us to eat!

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We'll let you take the first few bites. Ric, I'm wondering if it's written anywhere that would tell us if there is a certain time of year these grow. I only say that because at my other deer camp, one of the guys always brings a huge hen of the woods. I guess it had me thinking it's more of a seasonal growth for that time period. Those pics certainly resemble a chicken just the same.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Look for a phone app called iMushroom Ric. It can be put on the droid because that is what I have it on. Not sure but there should be one for the iPhone as well.

If it is COTW it says it grows May-November and should be like a sulphur yellow gills and tube should be small and round.

Grows on acacia,willows,oaks, and beeches

Recommend only young fruiting bodies. Older ones are no longer edible.

Here is a pretty good link for COTW

http://steve.rogueleaf.com/fungi/laetiporus/

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Thanks for the link Adam.

No problem man. I would hate for somebody to get sick I don't care what Ron said lmao.

From what I have found on COTW and all that type of shroom is that it grows off of the wood weather it be the trunk or the roots so you would have to dig down and see if it is growing from the roots of that tree. I seen someplace that if it is not growing from the wood and is just growing out of the soil that it is not COTW and DO NOT eat it.

All still pretty new to me so don't take my word for the gospel here lol. That's why I put that link up for you to read lol.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Lol..... Thanks for the link as well Adam.

I still believe that it is a chicken, and it is growing from a root off of that hickory stump. It's always a good idea to research what it is before putting anything in your mouth.( unless you know for a fact it's clean or otherwise) lol.