Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

cooper hollow rut hunt

lungpuncher1

I'm heading up to cooper hollow November 4-9. I went in February to scout and found some decent sign but I didn't have much time to check out as much ground as I wanted. Can some of you guys fill me in on what to expect? I'd really appreciate it. Not looking for somebody to give me a spot to go, i'm willing to put in the work. Just looking for some info.

Also what do most of you guys hunt during the rut? All I can do now is find saddles on a topo and aerial scout and hope to check them out when I go back in September to scout again.

lungpuncher1

I'm putting a lot of hope and confidence into my online scouting, finding saddles and checking them out in September on my next scouting trip. I really hope this isn't a mistake. Im just afraid I won't have the time to find doe bedding or doe food sources. My main hope is to find a buck cruising, but that's the joy of the rut I guess!! Haha. Im really just curious if that tactic has worked for others there and what the hunting pressure will be like mostly.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I don't know a thing about Cooper Hollow but the land is similar to what I hunt. Scout as much as you can before you get there and learn as much as you can when you do hunt. I'd say this year will be a learning curve to figure out how much pressure and how good the hunting is there. Hopefully things work out well for you.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Sounds like you are on the right track. I don't know a thing about Cooper Hollow but the land is similar to what I hunt. Scout as much as you can before you get there and learn as much as you can when you do hunt. I'd say this year will be a learning curve to figure out how much pressure and how good the hunting is there. Hopefully things work out well for you.

Exactly. This will be the 4th year my buddy and I will make the trek out to Ohio for a public land rut hunt. The best advice I can give you is be flexible and always have a plan B and C in your pocket. Chances are you will need it. For example 2 years ago my buddy took a 10 point off a piece of public land we pretty much had to ourselves for 6 days. Last year we went back to that spot and there were 5 trucks parked there. We had to move on or fight the crowds. Make sure you have plenty of spots scouted so you can move when you need to.

lungpuncher1

I've found around 8 spots to keep in the back of my mind. Hoping I only need one though! Wishful thinking haha. Do any of you all hunt saddles much during the rut?

I am very fortunate to have a lot of good ground up in Allen Co. Where it is a lot flatter, it's a little harder hunting in the hills. Do as much prep work as you can, but there is no substitute for time in the woods and like Chuck said don't hesitate to move if you are not seeing what you want to see.

lungpuncher1

I'm without a doubt flexible. I'll do whatever it takes and I am fortunate to be good at thinking outside the box. That's why hunting public land doesn't intimidate me I guess. My main concern is the pressure. But I guess there's really no way to predict that until I hunt. I'd imagine it's different every year just like most things.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Welcome to the site, where you from? Give it some time you'll get some of the southern ohio boys chiming in..... I'm a north east ohio hunter so no help here but sounds like you're on the right track.... Good luck too ya.....

lungpuncher1

I'm from east Tennessee, I've hunted my butt off here and its just almost impossible to find much less kill anything over 2.5 yo in these mountains. I've leased in Illinois quite a bit but between buying my first house and my buddies having kids now that's just getting hard to do financially and time wise. I'm pumped about hunting Ohio this year. It's closer, just as good of deer and hunting and I like those hills. Almost like hunting around the house but with actually decent bucks.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good luck in your adventure. It's somewhat hilly here in SW Ohio but nothing steep. But when you state saddles are you referring to the ridge tops?

lungpuncher1

Yes, the dips in a ridge line. Hunting them here have always gave me results in seeing deer. Especially during the rut. I'm hoping I'll experience the same thing there in November!