Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone know.anything about Indian artifacts?

Kaiser878

ohio
Anyonw kknow.anything about this? I assume a spear head? Is it rare? Valuable? It is not.fake. it was recently fpins on a sandbar in a river

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
You have a picture of it? If it was found on a sandbar, then it's no doubt a well preserved piece. They don't get beat up as bad as those found in plowed up fields.
As far as value? It depends on what material, how old and then it's condition. Any Paleo pieces are usually high dollar. Clovis's and dovetails are my favorites.
As soon as I see a picture of it I can give you a better idea as far as it's value.

Kaiser878

ohio
Here u are Ron
uploadfromtaptalk1403382212146.jpg

Kaiser878

ohio
Ha sorry mike. My bad been a long day. Haha

Well I didn't find it. A girl I work with found it while canoeing on her.girls outing they have every year. I told her id find out what I could about it

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Wow! What a beaut Clark! Lol.
Although I am not a professional appraiser, I would say it's at least a 100.00 per inch. 4 inches and you can do the math. It looks like Flint Ridge flint or Carter Cave flint? Both materials are top notch! It also looks like a dove tail button blade. Congrats to your friend on an incredible find.

JPN

coshocton
Although I am not a professional appraiser, I would say it's at least a 100.00 per inch. 4 inches and you can do the math. It looks like Flint Ridge flint or Carter Cave flint? Both materials are top notch! It also looks like a dove tail button blade. Congrats to your friend on an incredible find.

I agree with Ron. I think it's flint ridge not carter cave but not positive. If it is carter cave it would be worth even more. Nice find!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

What makes it that expensive? I've never seen them priced that high. Last time I was back home Jessica and I went antiquing and found a little shop downtown. The guy had half a tote full of them over in a corner of the shop. I think they were 2 bucks each. About half of them were broken but there were some nice ones in there. Just wondering if they're worth more up here or something. Granted back home it seems like there's more of them. We would find them while digging sand castles on the beach all the time. It's nothing to find 5-6 a year just farting around in the woods and yard.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Well to answer your question Joe. Indian relics are one of the most sought after treasures around, but also, they are one of the most easiest to duplicate and pass of as genuine relics.
One found on a sandbar in a river has prolly not been damaged much. Also, finding one 4" in length or more is pretty rare. The material that this one is made of is most likely Flint Ridge and the highest grade of flint around. Somebody might offer the finder even more than what I suggested? A rich mans junk, a poor mans treasure!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Well to answer your question Joe. Indian relics are one of the most sought after treasures around, but also, they are one of the most easiest to duplicate and pass of as genuine relics.
One found on a sandbar in a river has prolly not been damaged much. Also, finding one 4" in length or more is pretty rare. The material that this one is made of is most likely Flint Ridge and the highest grade of flint around. Somebody might offer the finder even more than what I suggested? A rich mans junk, a poor mans treasure!

So it's kinda like antique roadshow. It's valuable to someone. But good luck finding that someone. Lol. I've seen them in cases for 10-15 bucks back home. Then I've seen them in a tote like that guy had for 2 bucks each. If they're worth that kind of money my family back home is sitting on at least 100k. Lol I think my dad has a couple coffee cans in the shed of ones he's found over the years.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe some of you guys could enlighten us. Correct me if I am wrong. My uncle is an avid arrow head hunter. He says documenting helps. Documentation is also easily made up, so a person's word is important and reputation. My uncle documents where he finds his. Date found, where found, which property, location on property, etc. Am I correct? That said, sometimes a bucket full of them with no documentation would likely lower the value? I don't know. Trying to learn. I know very little. Sounds like Joe is correct as well. They might have good value, but finding the buyer is not always the easiest. Knowing the local market of buyers is probably a good thing? Throwing an ad on craigslist might just drop it (not this specific one, but any arrowhead) into the $2-20 range versus $200-600 range for example? Am I on the right track?