Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tony Gwynn and tobacco

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Sad story about one of the greatest hitters of all time.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/16/health/tony-gwynn-chewing-tobacco/index.html?sr=sharebar_twitter

I dipped a little in college the one year I played ball and it wasn't for me. I did however end up leaving college with a smoking habit that stuck with me for almost 15 years. I was a kid who never touched tobacco or cigarettes until I was out of high school and ended up with a habit that was damn hard to kick. I'm sure most of us have similar issues but hopefully we can use Tony Gwynn as an example of what can happen when you use these products.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What a shame. I smoked until my son was born 47 yrs. ago and stopped. Glad I did.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I started smoking at 16 and quit when I was 24. It was the hardest thing I ever did. I was unsuccessful with all the patches and gum crap. Finally I just said fugg it and quit cold turkey. I really do feel bad for people who try and quit but aren't successful. One thing I see now is all these young kids who aren't "country" wearing belt buckles bigger than their dicks and driving jacked up pieces of shit and every one of them has a can of chew in their pocket. In a few years they will give up on being a country boy except they'll still have the chew

That's a sad story, hate to see someone so young pass like that. Even though I absolutely hate/hated smoking while growing up with both parents smoking I did chew tobacco for a couple years while at college. Usually a pouch of Beechnut or Red Man would be my go to. I only chewed on occasion; studying for exams, out small game hunting or fishing, etc. The way I quit was simple LOL, I had a pouch of Beechnut in the side pocket of my camo pants one day when I went grouse hunting. It was a wet day to be out and when I got back I hung up my pants in the closet to dry. A day or two later I needed a chew and when I pulled the pouch out it was still soggy but I chewed it anyways. Only took me about 5 minutes to realize something wasn't right and soon I was puking my guts out. Just thinking about that taste even to this day makes me cringe.....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm off dip a week shy of 6 months. It's a very tough vise to quit but I proved it can be done. TOO late? Maybe, but after doing it 34 years I knew it was time to stop and let the chips fall were they fall.

Good luck Mike! You and anyone else who wants to quit can do it! Good luck!!!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I'm off dip a week shy of 6 months. It's a very tough vise to quit but I proved it can be done. TOO late? Maybe, but after doing it 34 years I knew it was time to stop and let the chips fall were they fall.

Good luck Mike! You and anyone else who wants to quit can do it! Good luck!!!

I was just wondering about this Ric.....Glad to hear it! I quit smoking 1-28-2013 @ 10 pm and never looked back.
Goodluck to anyone trying to quit. It isn't easy....

Last edited:

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I know several guys who had dipped for years but quit after having their mouth cut open and scraped down to the jawbone where they had cancer. They are doing ok now but said it was enough to make them quit for good. Scary chit.

Big Weff

Athens
I have dipped for about 3 years and am finally turning the corner on stopping, i haven't had any Copenhagen since:mothers day and haven't had a chew for about 3 days now. It don't sound like much but is an accomplishment for me coming from a can to can and a half day habit. The sad part is I'm not stopping because I acknowledge it's bad for me. Its because my family and girlfriend are hounding me, I am thankful they care enough to give me a hard time about it.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I have dipped for about 3 years and am finally turning the corner on stopping, i haven't had any Copenhagen since:mothers day and haven't had a chew for about 3 days now. It don't sound like much but is an accomplishment for me coming from a can to can and a half day habit. The sad part is I'm not stopping because I acknowledge it's bad for me. Its because my family and girlfriend are hounding me, I am thankful they care enough to give me a hard time about it.
I didn't stop smoking because I wanted to. My youngest son was turning 6 at the time (he's almost 14 now) and I asked him what he wanted for his birthday. He told me he didn't want me to get sick and die. Tough to say no to that. I quit cold turkey the next week.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Make sure to tell them "Nobody likes a quitter." lmao

In seriousness though, I mean that. When you quit, you might go through some real asshole moments. Nobody likes that. Good luck Big Weff. I have attempted and failed several times throughout the years. Not much fun, but much easier the younger you are in my opinion. I quit for about a year in my early 20's. Dumbest thing I did was to start it up again.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I have been chewing every since I joined the Army in 1999. I know I need to quit, and I want to quit. Hopefully soon Ill be able to report back that I was successful. Congrats Cotty and good luck. Congrats to everyone else who has been able to kick the habit. Its not easy, I have tried before. I quit smoking by switching to chew. One bad habit to another. I have been told that trying to quit chew is harder than trying to quit smoking.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've smoked and chewed off and on since I was 16. Smoking is the hardest for me to combat. I've quit several times for spans from 6 months to over a year. Seems I always find myself back there. Smoking cigars is the best combat to that problem. My chew habit has never been a habit. I chew when I do certain things like baseball, putting in hay, fishing, but it is something I can live without. A pouch may last 3-4 days in baseball season, but last me 3-4 weeks the rest of the year. Snuff makes me sicker than a dog, so I was cured of that habit a LONG time ago. Cope fine cut on the roof of my buddies house in 90 degree weather when I was 14. Never had a hangover that even came close to the misery that inflicted! To this day if someone cracks open a can in a closed vehicle, I'm gonna go off! lmao

Ricer2231

I started rubbing snuff when I was 14 and quit off and on for 30 some years but finally quit for good on June 1st 2012. It took me 32 years to finally quit for good. The funny thing about it is it was my trip to Maine to bear hunt that tipped the scales towards quitting for good. My guide told me that my chances were significantly lower for a successful hunt if I used any kind of tobacco. I may not have gotten a bear but I thank goodness for the hunt because I am sure it added years to my life.

Buckmaster

Portage
I'm surprised how many of you dip and still continue. It must be a hard thing to break.

Me, like Jesse, was cured at a young age. The neighbor boy was 5 years older than me and dipped Cope.
When I was about 13 he let me have a dip on his front porch. I remember turning dizzy, turning nauseous, and getting a headache out of it.
I learned then, it was not for me.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Dipped on and off through high school during baseball and while hunting, but the habit never stuck. Never got hooked on cigarettes either thankfully. I do drink more than the average person, but a 2 year old and another due any day has cut that back as well.