Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Adding 36 to my 9?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know this is an ongoing debate or personal preference thing, but lately I have been kicking it around myself. I generally carry a 9mm. Lately I have thought of changing carry guns. With the introduction of the Springfield XDS 45 being pretty darn close in size to the Kahr or Shield or P938 or Glock 36, it sure has me thinking. We are talking about a 45 close to size and weight of the 9mm I listed! I am a skinny guy. Full size 45 doesn't hide real well on my frame. I am a shorts and t-shirt guy who moves around a lot and do my best to keep any carry piece tucked away nice. Didn't think a 45 under $500 AND in this size would be an option. Looks like it is a possibility.

Anyone carry an xds45? Reasons a person should steer clear of it or stick with one of the 9mm pistols I listed? Curious to other opinions on this one.

Nice looking pistol

Try and shoot one before buying
As I owned a Karr in 40 S&W for 5 days , it was the little one
It plain hurt to shoot

That is why I sujest shooting one of the new "Small" pistols before buying
I only was out $50 , as someone else just had to have it

But sometings you will have something that just dosn't sell and get shafted on traded in

John

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
At 5+1 capacity I just don't see the benefit of a single stack .45. Just carry that Smith airweight with 5 rounds of .38 +P. Lighter, easy to conceal, will go bang with every round, and has the same firepower was that springfield. I've never seen the reason to have a 6 shot auto loader. IMO it just adds auto loader complexity and risk for zero gain. If you're only going to carry 5 rounds carry them in a Airweight wheel gun.

I carry a Taurus millennium Pro PT145 that's 22.1 oz and 10+1 capacity of 45.

The XDS is 21.5 oz and only 5+1.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
At 5+1 capacity I just don't see the benefit of a single stack .45. Just carry that Smith airweight with 5 rounds of .38 +P. Lighter, easy to conceal, will go bang with every round, and has the same firepower was that springfield. I've never seen the reason to have a 6 shot auto loader. IMO it just adds auto loader complexity and risk for zero gain. If you're only going to carry 5 rounds carry them in a Airweight wheel gun.

I carry a Taurus millennium Pro PT145 that's 22.1 oz and 10+1 capacity of 45.

The XDS is 21.5 oz and only 5+1.

Yes. I do have the Airweight as an option. Still carry on occasion. Like to leave it in the safe for the Mrs. All she needs to do is pull it out and squeeze repeatedly until it is only clicking. She knows the routine.

No. Tried the PT145 route. Loved the FMJ rounds. Spent over $100 in different carry rounds. Never found anything it liked. I am not carrying something that jams like rush hour traffic. Sent that thing down the road. Very nice size, weight, and feel to it. Surprisingly it did absorb recoil well and was plenty controllable when shooting FMJ. Loved it. Shot it very well. Not trusting my life with it. 10+1 means squat if round 2 or 3 jams. I won't own another Taurus firearm for carry purposes. Maybe if it is cheap enough to flip I will own one. I wouldn't trust my life to one though.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
People that have the little XD's love them. Also the Glock 30S would be a great option. Right now i have a Gen4 21 IWB on and with a t-shirt on and shorts its not to bad. 38's are great carry guns but i feel extra comfy when i have the 45 on me and with 13 rounds in the full size i feel extra comfy!!!!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yes. I do have the Airweight as an option. Still carry on occasion. Like to leave it in the safe for the Mrs. All she needs to do is pull it out and squeeze repeatedly until it is only clicking. She knows the routine.

No. Tried the PT145 route. Loved the FMJ rounds. Spent over $100 in different carry rounds. Never found anything it liked. I am not carrying something that jams like rush hour traffic. Sent that thing down the road. Very nice size, weight, and feel to it. Surprisingly it did absorb recoil well and was plenty controllable when shooting FMJ. Loved it. Shot it very well. Not trusting my life with it. 10+1 means squat if round 2 or 3 jams. I won't own another Taurus firearm for carry purposes. Maybe if it is cheap enough to flip I will own one. I wouldn't trust my life to one though.

Strange. Mine has never Jammed a single round HP or otherwise. I know three others that carry them also and have never had problem either. I think you have the worst luck. Lol. You do know they have a lifetime warranty though right. If you got a lemon send it in just like you would any other pistol that had the same problem. And others aren't immune. Even kimber will tell you that if it doesn't stop jamming after 300 rounds to send it back.

The logic still applies though. There is no sense introducing the mechanical vulnerability of any auto loaded for only 6 rounds. If you only get 6 then carry a wheel gun.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I had a new Rossi revolver that jammed and locked up after maybe 50 rounds. Luckily it broke at the range and not when it was needed. It had to be repaired and then I sold it at a gun show and bought a used S&W 10-5 with the money.

The only point to that is that revolvers can fail too.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/an-alternate-look-at-handgun-stopping-power

There isn't much of a difference between a 45 & 9mm in stopping power but you give up a lot. Most people can shoot a 9mm faster and more accurately and shoot placement as we all know is king in stopping anything. Also you give up capacity. Finally a 9mm is cheaper to train with.

These are most of the reasons I switched from a 45 to 9mm.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
The thing with the nine is over penetration. Get some pass throughs and some non targets could get hit. 45 did a pretty good job from the first world war to the latest one and the guys shooting 45's wouldn't give them up for the nine for nothin!!! The Springfield Professional 1911 (the FBI's gun) has over a two year wait if orderd today and it's in 45 cal and not nine so that says a lot!!!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Myself I prefer a 40S&W. I figure it's about 1/2 way in between the 9 and 45.
I do carry a 380ACP, 9MM in a H&K P7 squeeze cocker.
And a 40S&W in a Glock compact with a internal LaserMax laser.
Anything is better than the pistol left home when you need it.
The last couple years I use the Smartcarry holster only. Comfortable, out of the way and easy to conceal.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The thing with the nine is over penetration. Get some pass throughs and some non targets could get hit. 45 did a pretty good job from the first world war to the latest one and the guys shooting 45's wouldn't give them up for the nine for nothin!!! The Springfield Professional 1911 (the FBI's gun) has over a two year wait if orderd today and it's in 45 cal and not nine so that says a lot!!!

IMHO these shortages are cause by want to be armchair Rambo's.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Oh yeah thats for sure. A lot end up being safe queens but have seen a few that are getting used the way they are ment to be also.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The over penetration is not an issue with current hollow point technology.

Check it out, same penetration and 0.13 difference in size. I will take the faster follow up shots and higher capacity.

Using the military which follows the Hague convention on Not using hollow points is a limitation you and I as concealed carriers do not have to deal with. The argument isn't valid because it's not apples to apples, it's apples to oranges.

The 1911 as much as I love it and mine, it's not the best ccw out there. There are reasons it's not used widely anymore and well known 1911 shooters such as Hilton Yam and Larry Vickers do NOT recommend them for ccw at this time.
http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=6631#more-6631

9mm is plenty for me. I rather have 8 9mm that 5 .45acp. This allowes me to have faster recovery and more accurate follow up shot. If I need something more powerful get a .357 mag k frame with a 2 inch barrel.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/an-alternate-look-at-handgun-stopping-power

There isn't much of a difference between a 45 & 9mm in stopping power but you give up a lot. Most people can shoot a 9mm faster and more accurately and shoot placement as we all know is king in stopping anything. Also you give up capacity. Finally a 9mm is cheaper to train with.

These are most of the reasons I switched from a 45 to 9mm.

This is good info along with the follow up post. This is the main reason I have carried 9mm up to this point. I haven't felt as if I was missing much BUT I retained the smaller frame with higher capacity.

However, if you talk to ER doctors and nurses or paramedics. . . the picture is a little different. There is a ton of kinetic energy in the slower round of the 45. My BIL is a paramedic on an active active active department. My cousin is a surgery nurse. A good friend of mine is a doctor. One of my guys is a retired military MP who has seen results of gun shots. The more I hear from these people, the more I am thinking 45 is the direction I will be going. That said, why settle for one? Maybe an xds45 AND a Glock 26 are in my future? lmao

Huckleberry Finn

I'm only a beer in and it took me forever to figure out the title of this thread.

How about a S&W Shield in .40? 6 or 7 round capacity. 19 oz and .95" width.

Bigger than a nine...but only adding 31 (yea I got it finally)

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Hilton and Larry will preach on the guns by companys that pay them the most. I agree 100% that the 1911 isn't for everyone as they both say. Hicks post is from the guys and ladies that are seeing the real world results on flesh and bone and not a gelitin block. Another guy to check out is Massad Ayoob on one shot drops. With my Glock 21 topped off its holding 14 rounds of 200 grain +P ammo and with thirteen more in a spare mag i feel pretty protected lol. Hell a little 22 is better than nothing at all just as long as you know the gun your using very well. Remember guys Front site Squeeezzzzeee!!!!!

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Hilton and Larry will preach on the guns by companys that pay them the most. I agree 100% that the 1911 isn't for everyone as they both say. Hicks post is from the guys and ladies that are seeing the real world results on flesh and bone and not a gelitin block. Another guy to check out is Massad Ayoob on one shot drops. With my Glock 21 topped off its holding 14 rounds of 200 grain +P ammo and with thirteen more in a spare mag i feel pretty protected lol. Hell a little 22 is better than nothing at all just as long as you know the gun your using very well. Remember guys Front site Squeeezzzzeee!!!!!
Obviously the links I provided were not read. But read them, realize they are written by experts in the field and allow the information to help you come to the best decision for you.

The gun you WILL carry every day is better than the one left at home. However, if you end up needing to use it the gun you can shoot the most accurately and the fastest is the one I want with me.

I have worked in the ER and while the people he has talked to have one opinion, mine is different. The trauma surgeons I know and have worked with are off similar thought. If you want additional information there is a great thread here or look for information by Gary Roberts.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
hertl;333110]9mm is plenty for me. I rather have 8 9mm that 5 .45acp. This allowes me to have faster recovery and more accurate follow up shot. If I need something more powerful get a .357 mag k frame with a 2 inch barrel.[/QUOTE]

I had to laugh when I read your post. Not at the content which I agree with about a true story that happened 20 yrs. ago.

Our local police department switched from S&W 357's to Beretta 92's in 9MM. My next door neighbors both were police. They went in right before their daily shift and got their new 92's. Well when he gets ready for afternoon shift he comes over with the pistol in hand and asked my 18 yr. old son to load it for him as he forgot how to operate it.
There you go a policeman with a loaded gun.

Fast forward couple years and he's on night duty and a gets a call about a drunk waving a pistol around outside a bar. He gets there and there's rookie policeman hiding behind his car trying to figure out his Beretta 92's. Another policeman with a loaded gun. Save though since he can't figure out the safety.
The neighbor walks up to the guy shouting "put the gun down" and the drunk turns and points it at him. Bang-Bang he double taps the drunk in the high chest. The drunk looks at the blood coming out of his chest and wipes his hand across the blood and walks over to the building and sets down. The drunk is out of the hospital 7 days later. Under arrest but out.

The neighbor comes over and tells me the story knowing I'm a gun guy. The neighbor thought the guy when shot would fly through the air like in the movies. I explained to him that the movies aren't real and they use a rope to pull the actors down when shot. He didn't know that. Dah.

The police department went to 45ACP pistol couple years later. Now I know as sure as hell most of them can't shoot the 45's.

Sorry about the long rant but I just shake my head and laugh when the thought comes up.

Forgot to mention he shot at least 3 accident shots either loading or unloading the 92. One was through his wedding picture. There may have been more than 3 but we moved away before they moved.

Last edited: