Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Having a bad day

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've mentioned I have MS. The MS causes me to have severe muscle spasms. Even though I've on the strongest anti muscle spasm meds there is and at the max dosage I still have problems at times when stressed. I've taken this medicine for 32 yrs. and I have ups and downs. Well today was one of the worst in 34 yrs.
I've been doing some custom loading for a ammo re-manufacturing company. Tuesday I switched from a set down press to a stand up press and have been on my feet the last 2 days for 4 hrs. each days. That caused severe spasms in both lower legs. Spent all day today in bed with heating pads wrapped around my legs. Doing better now.
The stand up press is easier on the shoulders and back but I found out I can't do it standing up. I'll try a drafting chair tomorrow and that should work just fine as it's high enough.
But hey like to told the wife of 50 yrs. today I'm still alive and walking and not in a wheelchair so life is good.
Done ranting. Carry on.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hang in there Frank! Take it easy for a few days and ease back in to it. It sucks getting older...lol

Hope you get to feeling better!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hang in there Frank! Take it easy for a few days and ease back in to it. It sucks getting older...lol

Hope you get to feeling better!

Thanks. It really doesn't suck getting older. If you don't get older you would die young and that's not good.
What sucks is at 36 coming down with MS. But I've been very lucky and it hasn't progressed to the severe point.
Like I said life is good when your alive.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Rant away Frank any time you want!!! Shows how much you really love what you do when you will put up with pain like that to do it. Hope you feel better soon!!!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Sometimes our biggest challenges are our greatest assets frank. Hang tough. Any way to mount that bad boy lower so you can still sit?

I have to agree, getting old sure beats the alternative. I have a hunch the drafting chair will help. But, Milo may have an excellent idea to lower the press. Sounds like you didn't let the MS slow you down, for that my hat is off to you. Some people throw in the towel at the first hint of adversity. Carry on.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree with all the above posts. Glad to see it doesn't slow you down. (At least it doesn't slow your determination.) Better than alternative for sure. Rant away if needed. Hang in there. And way to be an example to all of us!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Wishing you the best Frank. My mom's dad had MS and the treatments have come a long way in the 20+ years since his passing. Its not something I'd wish on anyone. Hang tough buddy.

Sure hope changing things up help ease your pain. We had a cousin that had MS for years and was terrible to watch what she had to go through before she passed away. Hers was to the point where she needed help when she was young still and couldn't get around on her own. Stay strong and make that bench work for you!!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Yes discussing it is good for me anyway. Too many people keep the secret inside themselves and that's not good. I have nothing to be ashamed of having MS. I've been just very damn lucky these 37 yrs. that it never got the best of me. Oh sure I lost most my eyesight 2 times but it came back. The Doctors say the new medications won't help me as I never get bad enough and the side effects can be so severe from the new medications that the risk is just too great. I've always been sorta a case study patient and told just come back when it gets worse. When it gets worse at times in the past they just shake the heads and say the MS is not taking it's normal course. So just hang in there and wait to see if it get worse but then it always gets better. Like I've said I'm just lucky.
I'm better today just my leg muscles are sore as hell from pulled or torn muscles but it will pass in time as always.

I tried the standing press on purpose to try and help my shoulders and back. Well it didn't work out so I'll try a draftsman chair and that should be OK.
Life is good when your alive, walking and deer hunting. Hopefully a Africa hunt is next year.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I commend you for your strength in dealing with this and being so active.
My hats off to you!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks everyone. I've had a tough row to hoe but overall I seem to get better the older I get. The doctors say it really strange but good for you as older MS patients should go down hill the older they get.

I used the grafting chair yesterday and it worked wonders. I found the relationship of height different between the chair and the press height was perfect. I didn't need to lower my upper body when the press handle was at the bottom to the stroke.
It was faster too as I did 2500 rounds in the same time it took me to do 2000.
Both lower legs are as sore as hell as I probably pulled muscles in both. It'll take 7-10 to heal as before. But life goes on in the slow lane.
I believe my brother and SIL are coming for a visit for 3 days on Sunday. The ladies can go gambling and the brothers can do some projects. Weather permitting we plan on trenching in the electric for my pole barn so I can finish my man cave.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Did a 2nd day at the press with the grafting chair and it works great with no problems. Even felt like going out and taking the tractor to roto till the 2 small food plot patches on the west side of the farm.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Frank, Im 5 minutes away from you if you ever need any help bud. Just let me know.

Dustin

Thanks Dustin. My brother couldn't make it down this week to help me trench in my electric for my pole barn so I can finish my man cave. I'll check with my son and if he hasn't a company worker to help me I'll give you a ring if your interested.
Please send me your phone # as I don't have it anymore from the rifle sale.
Frank

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Thanks Dustin. My brother couldn't make it down this week to help me trench in my electric for my pole barn so I can finish my man cave. I'll check with my son and if he hasn't a company worker to help me I'll give you a ring if your interested.
Please send me your phone # as I don't have it anymore from the rifle sale.
Frank

Message sent Frank.

Dustin