Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Boat Build Project..?

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
So tomorrow I'm gonna buy a 1984 Hydrasport 17 ft. bass boat. It's pretty much stripped, and needs everything. My idea is to buy it, and make a slow and steady project. It comes with the following

Bare boat
Trailer (good shape)
Full front deck
Guages, steering wheel, steering cable.

So I'll need to buy just about everything to get it running and going. It'll be a long project.
Is this a bad idea?

I started looking at the prices of motors and trollers and such, and the prices do kind of worry me..but I picked this boat up for $200.

Should I attempt a build or try to flip it and make some money?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Flip it and make some money.... Otherwise you'll probably put more into it then it's worth.... Save your money and buy one that's not a basket case....

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Seems like an awful lot of work! I'm not good with long drawn out projects, especially when I just wanna get it done so I can get out and use it. If it were me, I'd sell it, and save for the boat I wanted!

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
A word of advice if you are looking at boats motor is everything, , with this crappy ethanol it eats outboard motors, because of all the plastic on them, I dumped $750 in my motor getting all fuel lines gaskets and carbs replaced

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Additives will take care of some of he issues with ethanol, that is if it's been used all along.... If you buy a motor the best thing too do if it has any age on it. Is too change all that anyways, don't wait for them too fail.... Compression is one of the main things too look at as well as a bleed down test... That gets down too how long the motor will last without a complete rebuild..... Preventive maint versus fix at fail.... I like preventive myself on a lot of things.....

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
Additives will take care of some of he issues with ethanol, that is if it's been used all along.... If you buy a motor the best thing too do if it has any age on it. Is too change all that anyways, don't wait for them too fail.... Compression is one of the main things too look at as well as a bleed down test... That gets down too how long the motor will last without a complete rebuild..... Preventive maint versus fix at fail.... I like preventive myself on a lot of things.....

I have been using marine stabil,,the marina said it just slows down the process of ethanol eating your plastic parts up on the motors