Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trip to Gettysburg

Norma and I took a trip in mid April to Gettysburg. On the way we made a stop at the Flight 93 Memorial. We both like to avoid the turnpikes and expressways while traveling. So many more things to see on the smaller routes and side roads. While planning this little jaunt I decided to take the Lincoln Highway (old Route 30) from Canton to Gettysburg. It was a good choice except for the Jeep had some slight braking issues going down a couple of the steep mountain roads. Flight 93 is just beginning to take shape, but was still interesting. Gettysburg was a great place to visit. The weather in Gettysburg was not so good. Rained all day as we drove the driving tour and then snowed just at dark as we were having supper. Gettysburg has hundreds of interesting memorials and statues. We plan to go back again sometime in better weather. Here are a couple of photos from the trip.

Attachments

• imgp4875.jpg
    imgp4875.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 58
  • imgp4885.jpg
    imgp4885.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 62
  • imgp4889.jpg
    imgp4889.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 55
  • imgp4913.jpg
    imgp4913.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 91
  • imgp4925.jpg
    imgp4925.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 96

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Very cool. I will make it to Gettysburg one of these days. Kind of sucks that a lot of the battle fields and a lot of the history is now under roads and lost forever.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds good. The Blue Ridge Highway is a great drive to.
I'll make a trip to Gettysburg to as I'm a Civil war buff.

Huckleberry Finn

You guys need to get out of Ohio more...damn.

Beautiful country out there. Just hate the turnpike to get there. I didn't get to do Shanksville last year on the way out or back, but I'd like to someday.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I had some relatives who fought there & whose names are etched in some monument there abouts. I remember seeing that when I was there eons ago. I also had an uncle who was awarded the congressional medal of honor during the cival war for capturing a confederate flag during a battle in Virginia. Pretty neat stuff.

I went there with my dad we spend three days walking the battlefield. You can really feel and understand what was going on those 3 days. I have relatives that were in the 55th ohio volunteer infantry reg at Gettysburg.

Last edited:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I show Gods and Generals and then Gettysburg every year at the end of the school year. I detail the battles in Gods and then show it, then detail the key battles at Gettysburg and show it. Good stuff!

This summer, we are taking a side route on our way to NC for the beach. We are driving toward Richmond and touring Chancellorsville and checking out the site where Stonewall Jackson's arm is buried and the house he died in. Also gonna visit Fredericksburg.

Then staying in Richmond for a night and checking out a AAA baseball game (Richmond Flying Squirrels). Heading to the beach the next day.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Don't take rt 30 across PA if anyone in the car gets carsick. :biggrin:

There some great history to see a Gettysburg, I find some of the tourist traps distasteful but they're easy to avoid. It's a pretty moving place for me to visit.

A guy I know from around the flight 93 memorial area says they are spending big dollars there. Including buying a huge dragline that was in the area the day of the crash. Though with the coal situation now lots of draglines might become memorials.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very cool Dick.

Our parents took us to Gettysburg and to the Hershey's chocolate factory on the same trip way back in the 70's. very interesting for sure but we need to start taking our girls on trips like this as well.

I remember watching ghost hunters and they said there are hundreds if not 1000's of ghost roaming the battlefields at Gettysburg.

Buckmaster

Portage
My parents took me to both Gettysburg and Colonial Williamsburg as a kid. Both valuable and memorable trips.
In a couple more years it will be time to revisit them both....with my kids.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Hey Ric, I bet ya walked by about a 1/2 dozen or so of them ghosts while having your face glued to the ground looking for sheds. ha ha

I'd like to go back & visit some of those old houses still standing near the battlefields. I bet they could tell a tale or TOO.

Last edited: