Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The official 2014 TOO groundhog thread

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know we have some groundhog eradicators here. I haven't had time to get out much. The ones I have killed were by request and the people had been seeing them regularly.

First of 2014 was a 100yd shot with my 17hmr. Heard the shock as it hit. This was a first for me. She made it back in the hole so no pictures.

Second of the year made it under a brush pile. I wasn't going to dig it out for pictures. The third was the Grizzly Adams of the groundhog world. Picture doesn't do it justice. Number 2 and 3 were both today also with the 17hmr. Land owner was very happy. So was I. Been a long couple months. Last few weeks have been insane. Took 20min for myself today and here was one of my rewards.

uploadfromtaptalk1402517331564.jpg

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Got two with the 4 iron this year. Don't have a pic of the other. Haven't actually been groundhog hunting yet though.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1402529415016.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1402529415016.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 129

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Haven't been out yet. Waiting on the winter wheat and hay fields to be cut. Hay fields are about 3' tall and can't see anything in there lol. Corn really popped up in the last couple weeks and in some places the stalks are about 6" or so. Just tall enough to hide the little suckers unless they stand up.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Used to ride around for hours and shoot groundhogs when gas was cheap and I had the spare time...now gas is $4 a gallon and people will turn you in for shooting them off the hood of your pickup truck...saw one yesterday down the road from the house..didnt have the time to go get the gun and shoot him..

We used to have a largest groundhog contest in the town where I grew up...one year I shot 67 of them bastards..lol

Diablo54

Outside
I killed two today. Had to shoot left handed because of the angle my truck was at. They were on the run. I couldn't work the bolt fast enough being cockeyed shooting left handed to get the third lol. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402606168.576692.jpg

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Used to ride around for hours and shoot groundhogs when gas was cheap and I had the spare time...now gas is $4 a gallon and people will turn you in for shooting them off the hood of your pickup truck...saw one yesterday down the road from the house..didnt have the time to go get the gun and shoot him..

We used to have a largest groundhog contest in the town where I grew up...one year I shot 67 of them bastards..lol
Same here. We have to had crossed paths if you were around the Walbridge- Elmore area. I went for a short close to home cruse the other night and seen one that back a few years ago i would have killed but decided that i wanted to keep my Rem .17 and not get turned in so its still alive. His days are numberd though lol!!!