Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trip to the UP of Michigan

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Over this past weekend we had a spur of the moment trip and decided to make it to the UP to go over the Big Mac bridge for the wife and kids to see. While on the trip we almost hit a stupid turkey that decided it was a good idea to walk out into the middle of the slow lane of I75 near Gaylord lol. I was able to get slowed down from doing 75mph and hit the shoulder to go around the stupid thing lol. He just puffed up and stuck his wings out trying to make himself look big lol. The look on the guy in the fast lane with that turkey between us was priceless lol.
I will have to look back at my old family pics and see but I was over the Big Mac about 33 years ago and I thought for sure it was a different color back then. Here is what it looks like now.

20140607_201647_zps49fe9a31.jpg 20140607_201739_zps49243309.jpg

From the UP observation point

20140608_140918_zps447dc6e2.jpg

We decided to stay overnight in St. Ignace and found a room at a pretty good price. Here is a view of Lake Huron right out the back patio of our room looking at Mackinac Island

20140608_084702_zpsdb909444.jpg

Stopped at the Mystery Spot and did the tour and the kids did zip line for the first time.
[video=youtube;nee2zSIRU5s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nee2zSIRU5s&list=UUupWLBS53K9R-N7e9kCsO8Q[/video]

Hit a couple gift shops and headed home. Had a great time even though we didn't plan anything lol.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Could only post one video per post so here is the boy. He just turned 9 in April and I didn't think he would do the zip line but he surprised me.
[video=youtube;7-w2R6rSPqU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-w2R6rSPqU&list=UUupWLBS53K9R-N7e9kCsO8Q[/video]

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Was there any ice still floating around ? ha ha

Not on Huron or Michigan that we seen but I guess there was some still on Lake Superior and we didn't go up that far. The mosquitos was horrid since they had just hatched 2 days before we got there. The locals said that was the first good weather week they had had so far. They said it had been in the 40's for highs the week before lol.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Looks like you all had a great time!

My tribe and I will be heading up there the 12th of next month. It's one fishing trip/vacation that we look forward to every year! The difference with their long winters and ours; they love it! Snow machines, ice fishing, drunkenness for 6 months... not all bad. :)

My old stomping grounds!! Man I miss the UP about as much as I miss Ohio when I cross back into Michigan. That's a great trip to take just to get away. If you ever try it again head to Sault Ste. Marie to check out the Soo Locks (about another hour from where you were) and maybe even head to Tahquamenon Falls (hour and a half).

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
My old stomping grounds!! Man I miss the UP about as much as I miss Ohio when I cross back into Michigan. That's a great trip to take just to get away. If you ever try it again head to Sault Ste. Marie to check out the Soo Locks (about another hour from where you were) and maybe even head to Tahquamenon Falls (hour and a half).

I'm sure we will end up back there here soon. The wife wants to go back when we have more time and can actually plan something lol. We will have to keep those places in mind. Might have to look you and Blackbeard up when we head back.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Thanks for sharing Adam. Ric and I have been acrossed the Big Mac back in the mid 80's. It's an awesome bridge to go across. I know a few fellers that have actually worked on it. Rehab and maintance work mostly .

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Thanks for sharing Adam. Ric and I have been acrossed the Big Mac back in the mid 80's. It's an awesome bridge to go across. I know a few fellers that have actually worked on it. Rehab and maintance work mostly .

They had crews working on both ends this past weekend. Couldn't pay me enough to be that high up let alone working on the cables or columns lol

Anyone that loves nature and outdoor sights should definitely plan a trip through the UP. I went to college in Sault Ste. Marie for 4 years and absolutely loved it. Been all over that UP from East to West and there are things to see every step of the way. My wife and I actually went up there to Marquette to get married at Presque Isle Park, a small peninsula there in Marquette, and we toured the UP checking out every waterfall we could find and there were MANY! Some of the best views you will ever see there. Porcupine Mountains, specifically Lake of the Clouds, and the whole Keewenaw Peninsula up to Copper Harbor is just incredible. Not to mention all of the great waterfalls there are along the way.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Gods country up there. Theres a place in Macinaw city that shows a film of the bridge being built back in 57 I think. Realy neat. Back in the late 40's early 50's before the bridge was there, Hunters by the thousands had to wait to use the ferry to get from the upper to the lower Michigan, Sometimes waiting for many hours. And if you realy want to enjoy the bridge, Try going across it in January when it snowing and blowing and theres nothing but ice under it. Talk about an ass pucker.

Last edited: