Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Composting

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I want to start composting the massive amount of organize waste we generate. Just looking for some tips/suggestions on storing/using of the compost. I've seen some homemade compost bins and will add that to my list of things to do!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Been composting for 40 yrs. I just put up a 4x4 wire fence and just pile the greens in it. When it gets down to nothing just turn it over.
Not the speediest way but the same product. Just keep fats and grease out of the pile.

Buckmaster

Portage
This is on my to do list as well.

When one of my neighbor's gets his backhoe fixed I'm going to ask him to dig me a 4x4x4 hole.

I'll line it with brick and then begin to fill it with waste probably attracting lots of area raccoon.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This is on my to do list as well.

When one of my neighbor's gets his backhoe fixed I'm going to ask him to dig me a 4x4x4 hole.

I'll line it with brick and then begin to fill it with waste probably attracting lots of area raccoon.

Unless you have a really good back I wouldn't recommend putting it below ground. Above ground is by far easier. IMHO.
The easy and fastest way would be with one of the rotating barrel types. But they can get expensive.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
its 2 dollars a bag at TSC...fugg that

I'm not doing it for that. I'm doing it to help reduce my impact on the environment. We (our household) are the consummate consumers and we generated FAR too much trash. It's estimated 30% or more of our landfill is organic waste that is suitable for composting. With my new focus on fruits/vegetables, I am generating even more organic waste. I plan to begin recycling and a long with that, composting. Time to cut down on our waste and this is one way to do it.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I'm not doing it for that. I'm doing it to help reduce my impact on the environment. We (our household) are the consummate consumers and we generated FAR too much trash. It's estimated 30% or more of our landfill is organic waste that is suitable for composting. With my new focus on fruits/vegetables, I am generating even more organic waste. I plan to begin recycling and a long with that, composting. Time to cut down on our waste and this is one way to do it.
man your starving out the landfill gas reclaimers then....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
you ain't getting a prius are you?!?!?!

106633890_medium_f549c3.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Don't worry. I help facilitate the destruction of Mother Earth through the raping and pillaging known as natural gas and oil production. I'm carrying my weight! lmao

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I get about 4-5 wheel barrows full of compost every spring. Turning it and not letting dry out is key. Doesn't matter how you pile it up.

Huckleberry Finn

I don't know why you'd bury a compost pile, other than to not see it, but that's the point of the cutesy walls and hinges.

Just make a pile...the fence idea sounds good to keep it centralized though. Best compost I've ever seen half horse manure and left over potting soil with a few dead goats mixed in.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Been composting for 40 yrs. I just put up a 4x4 wire fence and just pile the greens in it. When it gets down to nothing just turn it over.
Not the speediest way but the same product. Just keep fats and grease out of the pile.

What happens if fats/grease or non plant material ends up ? Smell? unwanted pests? or?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Since you're focusing more on fruits and veggies Jesse you could use the compost in a garden. I wanted to use it for my garden but I haven't yet gotten around to making a bin for a pile. I think I read somewhere that you should try to keep it 50% wet (food waste) to 50% dry (leaves, yard waste, etc). I like the idea of composting just havent been able to add it to my ever-growing list of to-dos.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Don't worry. I help facilitate the destruction of Mother Earth through the raping and pillaging known as natural gas and oil production. I'm carrying my weight! lmao

Well so much for that...

I never did get around to making a bin. I have been segregating our organic waste, but it all goes in my generic waste pile where I put leaves/dead plants/trimmings etc. With the addition of the chicken coop, I'm going to incorporated a compost bin in to the coop design so that I can take all the chick shit and easily dispose of it in the compost bin. I'll add a picture here when I get it done.