Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Idaho bear hunt

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My son and 2 grandsons left Sunday for a Idaho bear hunt. 2 Grandsons 16&18 hunting only.
They are driving straight through for 1940 miles. With a bad back and hip problem I can't make the drive.
Their hunting with a gunclub member who guided for the outfitter for 10-15 yrs. But he bought the whole guide outfit this winter.
If it works out for the boys I'll probably fly out for a hunt. I thought about flying out this year but my hip pain is just too much. I found out today I have hip osteoarthrosis with joint space loss. Going to try therapy first then a visit with a orthopedist next.
Maybe next year I can arrange a TOO member hunt. It's reasonable cost of 1200.00 and only 32.00 non-resident bear tag. Plus a slim chance at a mountain lion and wolf.
I'll let you know how they do.
Oh they are stopping in SD on the way back to shoot PD's if it works out.

teej89

NE PA
sounds awesome! if PDs you mean prairie dogs, those things are a blast! I went on an archery antelope hunt in nebraska and killed my buck the first day. Spent the next 4 days shooting coyotes and prairie dogs.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yes PD are prairie dogs. The boys had a blast but no bears. It turned warm 90 degrees and the bear all fed at night. Lots of camera pictures.
They went trout fishing and caught 5. Went whitewater rafting on a Class 4-5 river. These things were done during the day and hunted every night.
The outfitter is leaving them come back this fall for a free hunt and only have to pay for food.
The upper camp still had 10 ft. of snow on the ground. They enjoyed every bit of it and slept in a walled tent.
They have a return trip planned for this fall.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Too bad they didn't connect. Still sounds like an amazing adventure for the father/sons trio. Pretty good of the outfitter to offer them another hunt this fall.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I talked to the son and they had a great time. The guide we know who owns it has been guiding there for 26 yrs. Quite a few famous people hunt there. Brad Pitt and several others.
Two days before they left a Outdoor Channel hunting lady and husband came in. I believe her name was Lomas and I'll check that for sure. She seen my son's Down Wind scent hat and said I'm one of their Pro Hunter team. My son said same world as his best man in his wedding and friend owns the Company. Down Wind coverup scents products was developed here in Hamilton.
Looks like the son and 2 grandson are flying out this fall as the oldest grandson will be in Miami Univ. and the other in High school. I may go with them.