Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What new cam are you going with this year?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Game cams.....seems everybody but a select few either are stellar or they blow goats... Which ones are you going to try this year? I'm on a primos kick this year so far and doing testing right now to see how well they do. Very easy to run and setup so far. I see stealth cam is stepping up their game also and is in consideration.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I ordered a few Moultrie 880's. A friend of mine runs about 12-15 at a time and said the moultrie's have been working out real good for them.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I keep reading about the browning cams and they spec out as darn nice cams. I just can't but a moultrie for what ever reason and I have a good friend who swears by them. I may have to take the plunge

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I'm not sure what Moultrie I have. I'm wanting to say m80 or something. But it's been a great camera with really good trigger time. Best cam I've owned yet.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I keep reading about the browning cams and they spec out as darn nice cams. I just can't but a moultrie for what ever reason and I have a good friend who swears by them. I may have to take the plunge

Brownings won't disappoint. Check out some of my pics and videos in the Trail Cam section from this Spring and last fall. Great customer service too.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This is my 10th season on cams and I've ran a PILE of them. I'm still searching for a great camera with a blue collar MSRP. The SpyPoints have been a major disappointment to me. I have 10 of them (4 IR 6s, 4 IR 7s, 2 HD 10s) and I'm not overly impressed with any of them. They have some nice features, but are finicky and I don't like high maintenance cameras. I play to sell most or all of them and go with some Bushnells. Seems everyone I have come across that owns a Trophy Cam, speaks highly of them. I'm going to purchase 2-4 depending on how many SPs I sell. Gone are the days of running 12 cameras. I'm putting 2 at the farm over easy access inventory sites, 1 at my parents in the same situation, and will keep one to scout with. Whatever SPs I keep, will become scrape cams.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I've had great luck running Moultrie M80's for the past few years. I think I have 5 or so, but all still work after being out in the field 3/4 of the year. I picked up 2 Bushnell Trophy cams last year and they worked fine too. I run everything with lithium's and only have to add batteries at the beginning of each season, unless a cam is over a salt block or food source where I can get hundreds of pics a week.

I too am scaling back on cameras this year. Too many other things to do around here!

I've got 5 Covert Red 40's that I LOVE the pictures they take. I've had a couple problems with the housings leaking this past year but their customer service has been incredible!! I explained the situation and they quickly have gotten me the RA# and sent a replacement BEFORE I even sent the defective camera in. I had one that the latch broke on so I wired it shut with zip ties and before my next trip back down to Ohio I had a camera in hand to replace it right away. Hands down the best customer service I have dealt with.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I've got 5 Covert Red 40's that I LOVE the pictures they take. I've had a couple problems with the housings leaking this past year but their customer service has been incredible!! I explained the situation and they quickly have gotten me the RA# and sent a replacement BEFORE I even sent the defective camera in. I had one that the latch broke on so I wired it shut with zip ties and before my next trip back down to Ohio I had a camera in hand to replace it right away. Hands down the best customer service I have dealt with.

That's funny. My dealings with Covert customer service has been awful. Had cams that took dark pics. The guy told me I didn't know how to set up a camera. He then sent me a pic of how to set one up for night shots....there was a dusk to dawn light in the background!!!!!! Even though they are great working cams I'm done with them because of their public relations.

Last edited:

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This is my 10th season on cams and I've ran a PILE of them. I'm still searching for a great camera with a blue collar MSRP. The SpyPoints have been a major disappointment to me. I have 10 of them (4 IR 6s, 4 IR 7s, 2 HD 10s) and I'm not overly impressed with any of them. They have some nice features, but are finicky and I don't like high maintenance cameras. I play to sell most or all of them and go with some Bushnells. Seems everyone I have come across that owns a Trophy Cam, speaks highly of them. I'm going to purchase 2-4 depending on how many SPs I sell. Gone are the days of running 12 cameras. I'm putting 2 at the farm over easy access inventory sites, 1 at my parents in the same situation, and will keep one to scout with. Whatever SPs I keep, will become scrape cams.
Right there with you Jesse, I am only going to run a couple on the family farm and 1 on my main bowhunting farm this year and Only check them once a month.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It's amazing. I've been thru so many cams in the last ten years or so that I can't remember all of 'em. I use to be a regular participant at Chasingame.com, but not anymore. What I do remember is that most all of mine were sent back for one damn thing or another .... other than my 550s. They've all died out as it is. I just checked my m80XT a month ago in the garage & I forgot to take the batteries out after the season ended. The batteries corroded, ughhh. My Moultries ... the Pano & M880 are out doing fine, but even they were sent back in their beginnings. My Covert MP6 is reliable, but the pics aren't the greatest. My Code Black mms isn't out yet & I've read somewhere that AT&T GSM will be phazed out next year, so no more mms cams for me. If I were to buy another cam, I'd stick with Moultries.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
just stumbled on a good deal for some SG550's....may dive at a few of them as well...