Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Proud Dad Moment

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Being a dad is truly kick ass! Each day has proved to be more rewarding than the last for me and this morning did not disappoint. I was fixing her hair and gave her one of her favorite books to occupy her. She was flipping through the book point out the "key-tee" and "pup" when she came to the picture of the mallard duck. She stabbed her finger at it and smiled, looked at me and yelled "DUCK". I made a feed duck calls with my mouth and she laughed. It was a great way to start my day, then she one-upped herself a few minutes later!

We walked outside and there were two does standing motionless in my neighbors yard across the road, probably 75 yards away. I just stopped and waited to see what she would do. You could tell she knew there was something standing there, then one of the does flicked her tail and she goes "aahhh" and then pointed and said "deee"! Proud dad moment right there! She'll be 18 months at the end of June and she never ceases to amaze me how smart she is. Kids definitely learn way faster than you can imagine!

It was a good morning to be a dad! :smiley_clap:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's really great.
Just remember the old saying my dad told me.

You spend 2 yrs. teaching them to walk and talk and the next 16 yrs. telling them to shout up and set down.

Your glory years are just starting. Enjoy it.

Buckmaster

Portage
In a few more months her brain will turn into a sponge. You'll be amazed how fast she'll learn new things and talk about them.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I swear he vocabulary has doubled/tripled in the past week. Of course I'm biased and I only have her for a frame of reference, but she has exceeded my expectations in the intelligence category. She knows roughly 30 words and even knows when to us "hi" and "bye" based on whether a person is coming/going. We taught her the words obviously, but she took in to the next level there. Just this week she started to recognize 1 and 2, along with being able to say 3. What cracks me up the most is her own little language. She babbles constantly and lots of it sounds like words, but it sounds more like drunk gibberish! lmao

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Where's the "friggin awesome stuff I love this stuff" button?!?

Definitely a proud and awesome morning Jesse! I read or heard somewhere that that the human brain learns more during the first 5 years than all the rest of the years combined. Sponging for sure!

Good stuff buddy!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Probably not just you. I have another buddy with a daughter close to your daughter's age. He was just saying his daughter's vocabulary doubled or tripled within a couple weeks. Definitely a fun time as a parent. Enjoy!

My daughter requested deer steaks for dinner last night. I honored the request. She made all the sides. She is 12. Point being, there will be many many more of these moments for you to enjoy along the way. Proud of my daughter's initiative and abilities in the kitchen, but my proud moment last night wasn't nearly as fun as when she was learning to talk. I loved every minute of it. I can tell you are as well.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Read a book to her daily for 5-10 minutes. You will be well rewarded by Kindergarten.

She gets at least that and more. We read her several books over the course of a day. We also work on flash cards daily. She's naturally intelligent, but we have put in the work with her also. My mom has her 2 days a week and is very diligent in her efforts to teach her things. She must have 50 books that she has access to and you'll find her a lot of times in her play house with a book on her lap pointing out the things she knows all on her own. Hopefully that continues!

Buckmaster

Portage
Keep it up at home Jesse and you'll be rewarded later for your efforts.
We've done the same thing and now both my kids have been labeled at school, "gifted".
We keep the pressure on them and they perform over our expectation.
I'm now working on Sports to go with the academic achievement.
Selfish it may seem but I'm trying to reduce my college cost exposure.
In the end, it will benefit the kids.