Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOOday is my wife's birthday

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I can only remember because today is also the anniversery of D day. 70 years ago, wow. She is 60 & that even a bigger wow. In all seriousness though, I'm taking time out to give thanks to all those men & women who sacrificed so much, so that future generations such as us, have a great place to live. It's even more poignant now I suppose, to enjoy those that are still with us since time is flying by so quickly. When I was a kid, all the old men were WW1 vets & as a kid, you can't comprehend how quickly time goes by, so you think they'd be around forever. Look at us now, we're trying to find those WW2'ers that are still around. They're certainly living history & they're " The Greatest Generation Ever ".

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great post Kevin! CBS is honoring the WW2 vets all week on the nightly news marking the 70 year anniversary. Very inspiring stories!!!
Happy birthday to your wife TOO!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Happy birthday to your wife!

Loaded up a yard of mulch for a guy wearing a WWII Veteran hat yesterday. It was an honor. Thanked him vehemently for his service. Joked a bit about the current administration. His reply: "Makes me want to throw my TV out the window." Thanked him again for his service. His reply "well, that was a long time ago." Put the bobcat away and noticed a Purple Heart recipient sticker in his back window. Truly one of the great ones and our meeting was a mere 10min.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good writeup and Happy Birthday to the wife.
I watch all the WW11 shows on the cable show. I guess I'm looking for my distance German cousins. Did see my last name on a Death Camp rooster once.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I guess I'm looking for my distance German cousins.

Thanks ! Funny you should mention your german cousins. Back in the early 80's, my parents lived in Italy for a spell due to work. They would travel all over the place such as I when I was visiting. Anyway, dad found the house his grandmother grew up in, in southern Germany & there were still relatives living there. They were able to spend the night which would have been outta this world. He could speak German, so he fit in well. I guess one of his distant cousins there had been in the german army. I remember dad telling us he tried to get the guy to talk about the war, but it didn't go over very well....lol