Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Smokers

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm looking to get myself a smoker finally and have been looking around. What suggestions do you have for someone on a $200-300 budget?

Should I get electric/propane?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Neither electric or propane.

I prefer meat off of a fire. I myself would build a UDS. Easy, cheap and REALLY efficient.

If I were to recommend buying one it would be a Weber Smokey Mountain in the size of your choosing.

I recommend looking around www.bbq-bretheran.com and look for feed back.

Just for an idea of efficiency....

My UDS runs for over 20 hours on 16ish pounds of charcoal at 225 degrees. Set it and forget it and still has a true smoke flavor. No pooping of pellets or chip smokers for me.

This will be my next smoker just because it is pretty. Lol

http://www.humphreysbbq.com/smokers/testing

If you have a drum available you could order this kit instead of piecing it together yourself.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/store/bbq-accessories/big-poppa-s-engineered-drum-smoker-kit

http://youtu.be/VuReRs-8pJs

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'm not really educated on propane or electric smokers. We have a charcoal. When we do get a new one it will be propane just because I can take it anywhere. I don't want to be limited to an electric outlet.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I bought and electric and wish I would have bought a wood one. Just isn't the same IMO. Too much like an oven for me. I like the fact that I can set the temp and let it go, but just doesn't give me the smoke ring and bark that I'm looking for when I smoke meat.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I have a Bradley electric smoker and have been pleased with its performance. Mostly just do ribs, but have done some brisket. Looking at trying some pork shoulder this weekend. I do wish it was a little wider and when its really cold outside it can be a challenge to get the temp up. You can also cold smoke with the Bradleys if you want to do cheese.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I am contemplating either an UDS or a Bradley. I will probably get both eventually for the reasons above for each.

The UDS for cooking and smoking bbq the basket for sausage, jerky and other things when I don't want to mess with the UDS.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have a Bradley, a propane, UDS & another charcoal / firebox combo. The Bradley is convienent since I use a PID to control the temp, but the bricketts are too pricey anymore, & you have to clean up afterwards. Anything mechanical will, in time go wrong ... I had to replace the heating element a few months after I bought it. It's still a great smoker though. The propane was a dumbass thing to buy since I don't use it much. I really love the UDS & some of you guys have seen it in action :)

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I am going to try and do a video (short and sweet) of my drum smoker tonight to show the simplicity.

If I built them how many would be interested at $200 a smoker? This would be for one that has adjustable cooking heights with the ability to use multiple racks.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Also, the Weber WSM 18.5 runs under $300 and is a great cooker. Just not as stable or large as a UDS but they are prettier.

teej89

NE PA
I am going to try and do a video (short and sweet) of my drum smoker tonight to show the simplicity.

If I built them how many would be interested at $200 a smoker? This would be for one that has adjustable cooking heights with the ability to use multiple racks.

$200?! hmmmmmmm I'm looking forward to the video

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I wish the get together was closer because I would bring mine and cook on it and let everyone see how it cooks.

teej89

NE PA
I wish the get together was closer because I would bring mine and cook on it and let everyone see how it cooks.

and I wish I didn't have a wedding during the get together :tantrum: lol

I've always been interested in a smoker tho. Can't afford to spend money at the moment but definitely this fall.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You could sell me one Beener. My dad would buy it for the river lot. Or I would for a future camp and special occasions. I enjoy catering family meals and that would be great for big gatherings.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

I might be interested Charles! I'll wait on the video and see how big it first. Sounds like a great deal!