Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Snares for coyotes?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Deer stops only enable a deer to get its foot out of the snare. If you get one around the neck, its dead. Use extreme caution in your sets or you'll kill as many deer as coyotes. Never set a snare in a fence crossing that a deer uses to pass under, etc.

I like to set Coyote snares in the middle of CPR fields
Drive into the field and make a big X
Put road kill , ground hogs in the center of the X

Put the snares close to the bait , in the tire tracks
As Yotes will run the easy path you made

I have never caught a deer doing this , coons Yes
IMO the deer tend to shy away from the dead stuff

Also , I have caught doubles in this set before
1 was a male , the other probely his mate a female

John

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I use the cam lock snares and if you do it long enough you will eventually catch deer and fox just remember to get the deer stops on your snares and as Brock said it will enable deer to get out if caught on its leg but I have let a few go over the years that were caught around the neck and that sure is fun. LOL Just be sure to set along trails and don't have sticks or limbs over the top of the snare or deer will duck under and get caught. I also like trails out in open or Crp fields. Also if their is an old deer carcass in your area that is a great place to catch them just don't set right next to the carcass set them on the trails coming to it and if you look well enough you will find their tracks in the trails. Also I like to set mine where the bottom of the snare is 8 to 10 inches off the ground with my loops being about 11 inches. Have seen tracks where fox have gone right under or jumped through the snare. Good Luck!!