Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Motherly Instincts

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My wife texted me Sunday morning with the following:

"Ok so there is a deer that won't leave our yard and was trying to attack Remi. I'm not kidding!! Maybe a fawn nearby? Freaked me out and I was afraid to go to the car because it was being so weird and literally 10ft from the house. Circled the house numerous times. Remi was freaked out. Went in his cage and wouldn't come out, so I shut him in the garage. I was seriously scared. Blowin at me and Remi. Literally chased him around the house."

The doe left Sunday, but was back in action Sunday...

I ran her off a few times before she left for good. Tracie just sent me this picture a few minutes ago. This is right behind where she was standing in the picture above.

This doe ran a 100lbs lab within feet of where you see the Envoy in the picture from Sunday. She was mere feet from the house/decks at times protecting her fawn. Gives you a new respect for what they go through trying to raise the next generation!

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I had an encounter with a mama and her twins that ran into an area I was doing some scouting at....my stepson and I were standing in the clear cut near a creek, with a small area of woods on the other side...she came trotting into that woods less than 100yds away from us with her twins...when she saw us, she charged right at us and I thought, there is no way we were going to get her off our backs unless we just leave...she would have died before giving up that area and retreating with her babies. this was in august by the way.

motherly instincts indeed Jesse!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Now that you know the reason it is pretty cool but I could see where it could get a little freaky having a deer charge you. Knock the crap out of you with those front feet. Glad the wife and little one are safe as well as Remi.

teej89

NE PA
[video=youtube_share;w38UNpBti5s]http://youtu.be/w38UNpBti5s[/video]

It's crazy how protective they can be. Not to jack your thread but this reminds me of a video I saw a while back.

Warning the video with the volume on is a lil graphic at the end.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
A friend of mine killed three fawns last Friday mowing hay. The two mothers have been bawling out in the field ever since

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A friend of mine killed three fawns last Friday mowing hay. The two mothers have been bawling out in the field ever since

Dang JD! Thanks for the buzz killer! Lol

Very sobering to hear things like this though but it happens all the time....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Both picture and video are just cool. Poor dog will probably never chase a deer again.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
There was an incident up here last year in Shaker Heights where a little dog was stomped bad and needed stitches. Family got home with the dog and the mom and kids went out back. Doe charged them and the father ran out with a pistol and shot the doe.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Tonight I enjoyed a beer while grilling steaks as momma and the young one hung out in the neighbors field for a while. Got to see the fawn nurse and run around. I'm running corn and minerals at the top of the yard (100 yards from back deck). I suspect I'll get to keep an eye on them all summer.