Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunt maps by Onx app Mobile Plat MaP

Treed

Stark County
I've been thinking about picking up a plat map when I found this app called Onx Maps Hunt. It's basically a plat map for my iPhone that works with the phones GPS to give me my exact location, there's an Android , PC and Garmin version too. The map overlay has everybody's property boundaries marked out with the property owners name. I haven't gotten deeper into the app yet but I know there's a section with the property owners address as well and the size of the property for those who want to go knock on doors. I finally found out who owns a little piece of property by mine out in Carrollton that's always got a lot of deer running around on it. I plan to go talk to them soon. Know of a piece of property you always wanted to hunt but don't know who to ask? Next time you drive by it, stop, pull out your phone, open the app and there you go. The GPS will locate you and tell you the name of the person who owns the land around you. All public lands are also highlighted, I found a couple small pieces of public land I didn't know about just brushing through it for a few minutes last night. The app has a yearly subscription that's $29.00 but it comes with a week long free trial so you can check it out. I plan on spending the money just for the fact that I'll know for sure exactly where I am in relation to property boundaries when I'm hunting not to mention the fact that it gives you the name of every property owner in the state. I still do a little hunting on public lands here and there TOO so this will definitely come in handy for that. Anyway, I thought I'd share this with you guys who are out looking for permission to hunt. Hopefully it'll help expedite the process.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Nearly all of the counties in Ohio have online access to the county auditor's website (for free or a small fee) that will allow you to do this also. Not as handy has an app, but doesn't cost $30 either. Just some more food for thought on this front. I'll have to check that out and see if it would justify the cost for having the info on the fly as using the map feature on the auditors database is a pain in the ass on a phone.

I always have to point this out; can't help it! "Plat map" is a duplicitous term. A plat is a map. A map is not necessarily a plat. A plat is a map that shows the pieces of property is a certain area. You see it written and hear people say it all the time, but saying "plat map" is like saying "buck deer". Growing up a surveyors son gives me a bit of a prejudice here, but when I hear people use this term I can't help but laugh. I will say this though, plat map is better than "plot map"! That would be a map showing the plots in a cemetery, not a piece of deer hunting ground! lmao

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This has me thinking .... Is that anything like when knowing someone is an ass ? You know they're an ass, & asses have holes, but it's such a smooth word that it rolls over into hole.... hence " asshole ". I suppose the hole just naturally goes along, since chances are, you wanna stick a foot up it. :) Now that I'm thinking of it, " fuck you " kinda goes along the same way, other than making it into one word ... the " you " is just a way to point out to the person you're refering to. :):)

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
In Cincinnati people call a development a "subdivision" - in Dayton they call it a "plat"
When I first came to Dayton everyone said plat plat plat and I didn't get it.... now I say plat....ugh

Sounds like a cool app.

"App Dependency" is a coming social crisis, you watch and see.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
In Cincinnati people call a development a "subdivision" - in Dayton they call it a "plat"
When I first came to Dayton everyone said plat plat plat and I didn't get it.... now I say plat....ugh

Sounds like a cool app.

"App Dependency" is a coming social crisis, you watch and see.

That's what they said about calculators!