Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

GOA or NRA?

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Not really a gun question, but what are the differences? Are you a member of either?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I am a lifetime NRA member. If you can swing the $ its the way to go because its cheaper than the yearly dues for as long as I hope to be alive. I can look and see what the discounted rate I can give someone else to get a lifetime membership is if you are interested.

While I think GOA does a good job they don't have the power and the clout of the NRA. Do I always agree with the NRA? No but I think their "no compromises" policy and support of key legislation and key court cases has helped us in the long term.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I am a lifetime NRA member. If you can swing the $ its the way to go because its cheaper than the yearly dues for as long as I hope to be alive. I can look and see what the discounted rate I can give someone else to get a lifetime membership is if you are interested.

While I think GOA does a good job they don't have the power and the clout of the NRA. Do I always agree with the NRA? No but I think their "no compromises" policy and support of key legislation and key court cases has helped us in the long term.

I agree 100%. Life NRA member. So is my son, 2 grandsons, and nephews.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Thanks Hedge. I'm a yearly NRA member. I may split my money between the two.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A year or so back the NRA had a lifetime member offer for $300. At that point I became a life member. It has all sorts of perks. For example, once a month or so they call me claiming the sky is fallen and as a lifetime member I should donate money to the legislative fund. Insert smiley sarcasm here.

Last time I was begged and panhandled for money this bad, I quit attending the Catholic church I had been attending for more than 30 years. While I do believe the NRA is a necessary evil, being a "lifetime member" isn't something I proudly proclaim or hang on my hat.

Huckleberry Finn

I'd probably give my money to the Buckeye Firearms Institute instead.

Or just use it to buy things that are likely to be banned and not worry about the politics.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
As opposed to Phil?!?

Hey! I resemble that remark.

I don't mind donating money to a worthy cause. In regards to the NRA, I simply wanted to be another number on the statistics when they lobby for gun rights. I have no desire to give them more money given some of their previous political shenanigans. Supporting or endorsing Harry Reid isn't exactly my idea of "money well spent."

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
NRA is a necessary evil to protect our gun rights. Better than most other Assoc. and far better than nothing.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I have been a member for a long time!!! When they protested Columbus by canceling there convention years ago i stopped paying dues because i was stoked on going but got over it and started back again.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The reason they call for money is the way they're set up, membership dues can not be used for legislative or political action. So your yearly membership dues don't actually help fight the fight except with administrative stuff. To put money in the fight you have to donate to the NTA-ILA. But your membership does help when they tout member numbers.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I'm a NRA member. Therefore, I am radically over-the-top, or so I've been told! :smiley_crocodile:

They call here all the time, but I have caller ID and haven't ever actually answered the phone.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I get called every now and then by the NRA but it doesn't bother me. I just listen to what they have to say and then politely tell them I will not be donating anything at this time. Other telemarketers don't get the same courtesy from me.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I never donate money to a telemarketer. As the telemarketer probably gets 50-90% of the funds. Anyway that's the way the local Sheriff system works on telemarketer donations.
If any when I donate funds I do it direct so the organization gets 100%.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I never donate money to a telemarketer. As the telemarketer probably gets 50-90% of the funds. Anyway that's the way the local Sheriff system works on telemarketer donations.
If any when I donate funds I do it direct so the organization gets 100%.

I hate telemarketing calls.. All of them.. I don't care if it NRA, Jehovah witness, or the FOP.
Speaking of the LEO calls for donations. I always tell them they " You need to call the Buckeye Sheriffs Association and have them ask the governor where your money is. I paid the taxes, if it never got to the LEOs that's a problem with leadership."