Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Truck Insurance Help

teej89

NE PA
Guys, I'm looking to close on a 2014 FX4 Thursday if the price is right which we're getting there. However right now my current car(not a truck) is under my parents insurance(I just pay them each month) and I'm not trading it in so I have to get new insurance for this truck. Any recommendations for insurance companies to check out? And what price range should I be looking at that you'd say is a decent rate either on a per month basis or a lump sum. I was told Erie insurance has some real good rates if you do the lump sum.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Check with your parents Insurance Company since you already have a track record there. Hopefully good.
I've found all Insurance Companies look for a way to rip you off.
I had State Farm for 47 yrs. and when I bought my Nisson 350Z 3 yrs. ago they wanted 500.00 per 6 months. And I've never had a claim in 47 yrs. and only one speeding ticket 10 yrs. with no other violations.
I went to Liberty Mutual and the same coverage was 250.00. I switched everything.

teej89

NE PA
Check with your parents Insurance Company since you already have a track record there. Hopefully good.
I've found all Insurance Companies look for a way to rip you off.
I had State Farm for 47 yrs. and when I bought my Nisson 350Z 3 yrs. ago they wanted 500.00 per 6 months. And I've never had a claim in 47 yrs. and only one speeding ticket 10 yrs. with no other violations.
I went to Liberty Mutual and the same coverage was 250.00. I switched everything.

yeah I was going to check with my existing insurance first. However I was trying to figure out what rate would seem reasonable since a truck is going to have a higher rate than a car. I want to use this as a baseline rate to discuss w/ the insurance companies.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
yeah I was going to check with my existing insurance first. However I was trying to figure out what rate would seem reasonable since a truck is going to have a higher rate than a car. I want to use this as a baseline rate to discuss w/ the insurance companies.

it's tough comparing rates to someone else.

Age, married, high school graduate, College graduate, where you live, what vehicle, past driving record, and distance driven each day all play into the rate charge. Under 25 is the biggest hit on charges as it's a proven fact they cause more serious accidents than any other age group or so I've been told. Plus under 25 have less driving track record to base their responsibility on.

Good luck and do check several companies.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Frank is right. Hard to throw out a number. Way too many variables. Best you can do is shop around to several as any diligent consumer should do.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Frank is right. Hard to throw out a number. Way too many variables. Best you can do is shop around to several as any diligent consumer should do.

Yep. I hate to admit it, but I have Nationwide. They give me the best rates (have to add insult to injury and be a FB member) and the roadside assistance is the cats ass. My parents were with State Farm, so I went with them when I started paying my own insurance(s). I chick I know from school went to work at NW, so I had her give me a quote. Even paying the $60 a year for the FB membership, I save $300 a year over SF on my house, our Envoy, and two life insurances. I just had a quote done by a neighbor who works with Farmers and it was close to being better, but not by the time I shelled out the upfront money.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Franks hit the major items to do when your checking for insurance, based on my experience and dealing with my kids (22 and 26) you should be looking at a payment of around 1000 to 1500 for that truck if you're over 25 And closer to 2k if your under 25 and that's if you have a clean driving record.... I have a 29 year old working for me that if he was on his own insurance and not on his parents would be 4k a half..... Yeah he sucks at driving.... lol

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
it's tough comparing rates to someone else.

Age, married, high school graduate, College graduate, where you live, what vehicle, past driving record, and distance driven each day all play into the rate charge. Under 25 is the biggest hit on charges as it's a proven fact they cause more serious accidents than any other age group or so I've been told. Plus under 25 have less driving track record to base their responsibility on.

Good luck and do check several companies.

I looked it up once it's actually older people. I don't remember exactly but it was staggering. Something like those over 65 were 5x more likely to cause a fatal accident than those 18-24. And most were caused by failure to maintain lane or left turn in front of oncoming traffic (failure to yield). The reason is most old people don't stop driving until a major accident happens, or they have so many accidents they get dropped. Combine that with they always buy huge vehicles. (Which I'm convinced they do on purpose because they know they're likely to eventually crash and want better protection.) which is a dick move in itself. Which mirrors my personal experience. Over the years I've had more close calls with old people than any others. Call me an ass but if I see them failure to maintain lane I call them in to the DUI hotline. It's as bad as drunks around the part of town I live in retirement homes, assisted living, and condos. I try to stay off the streets at the first of the month when the SS checks roll in and it's grocery / prescription time.

Last edited:

teej89

NE PA
I just got off the phone with a family friend who's an agent and she told me to look at progressive, Erie and cincinatti. Anyone have any negatives bout any of these I should watch out for?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Way to derail Joe. lmao

You know it is the asian women who are the worst drivers. Followed closely by my wife's crazy sister. :smiley_crocodile:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I looked it up once it's actually older people. I don't remember exactly but it was staggering. Something like those over 65 were 5x more likely to cause a fatal accident than those 18-24. And most were caused by failure to maintain lane or left turn in front of oncoming traffic (failure to yield). The reason is most old people don't stop driving until a major accident happens, or they have so many accidents they get dropped. Combine that with they always buy huge vehicles. (Which I'm convinced they do on purpose because they know they're likely to eventually crash and want better protection.) which is a dick move in itself. Which mirrors my personal experience. Over the years I've had more close calls with old people than any others. Call me an ass but if I see them failure to maintain lane I call them in to the DUI hotline. It's as bad as drunks around the part of town I live in retirement homes, assisted living, and condos. I try to stay off the streets at the first of the month when the SS checks roll in and it's grocery / prescription time.

Amen dude. I have all the love in the world for my elders, but old people scare me to death more than any other demographic. It is STAGGERING how many times I have encountered elderly drivers (largely women) who are obviously retirement age or older that have no business being on the road. I drive 5-1K a week in oil country. Next to water trucks, elderly drivers (mainly women from my experiences) have given me the scariest calls in my driving career.

My one and only wreck was with a gentlemen well in to his 70's in a Caprice Classic. He looked right at me coming at him at 35 no more than 100 yards from the intersection, then looks left, then tries to pull out in front of me (slowly) like he's the only car around. We found out later he'd been in 3-4 wrecks just in the past year. It was the textbook example of what Joe is describing and I've narrowly miss 2-3 wrecks a year with elderly people who have ZERO business driving. A close second in all of this are teenage girls with cell phones. Most boys are jamming tunes or yukking it up with a buddy. I'd say 90% of HS aged girls I pass have the phone in their face.

teej89

NE PA
Alright so did some homework and it looks like I'm gonna go with Erie. For 12 months erie has me at $806 a year and for 12 months progressive has me at $986 a year. Everything is the same except progressive has the road side assistance.

Jesse you made a comment about it earlier, you think it's worth it to go progressive? I do have AAA, what is exactly involved in progressive's roadside assistance? I feel it has to be similar to AAA. I'm calling Cincinnati today and gonna get a quote from them, they didn't have an online quote option.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If you have triple a I'd go with e cheaper insurance then.... From what I've seen triple a covers pretty much what the insurance does....