Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

fuggin ticks!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Stopped by delaware wildlife on saturday, there is a small hidden field I wanted to look at to see if anything has been planted in yet. Quick trip back to the field and then back to the jeep. After that I stopped by a small local reservoir to fish for a couple hours. Been picking ticks off of me ever since. Just pulled the sixth on off my scalp on the back of my head. I forgot all about having to burn them to get them off, I just pulled it off. Hope there are no ill effects.

Pay attention guys, they're bad this year.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've pulled at least a dozen off me so far, just found one on my shorts today from when I took the quad for a ride.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Been lucky so far in my life I've never had one attach too me, but have removed them from my clothes in the past on numerous occasions..... No worrries where I'm at currently but will watch out for them this fall..... Hope there are no ill effects too you Dave but keep an eye out for the sights you've picked them off of......

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
A red bullseye. One bit me in Virginia many years back and the next day I had a bullseye target where it had attached. Had to take antibiotics for 2 weeks.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
A red bullseye. One bit me in Virginia many years back and the next day I had a bullseye target where it had attached. Had to take antibiotics for 2 weeks.

It bit you where youngin??????????????? :smiley_coolpeace:

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
It bit you where youngin??????????????? :smiley_coolpeace:

I had a dress on and it bit my thigh! Pretty high up, TOO! :tantrum: That's been 20 years ago and I've never developed problems from it.
My Uncle who lives in Ashtabula has lyme disease from a tick bite.

Oh wait.......just re-read your question! hahahaha

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Lyme disease is pretty serious if it isn't caught early, but the majority of ticks don't carry it. I'm not sure what all it does, but it does affect your muscles.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Someone explained it in another thread, but I don't remember who posted. Anyway, it had to do with the snow we had. Since we had snow on the ground then the extreme cold, the snow acted as an insulator and kept the fuggars alive.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Look up pulling ticks off online and all sites say just pull them. Don't burn, suffocate, spray with anything, etc...
Cause them to vomit contents of stomach into you and that's how Lyme disease is spread.

Just FYI.

100% true!!! Never burn them off. You have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting lyme disease in ohio. Rocky mountain spotted fever is what you can get living here. You will get the bullseye at the bite and also on your wrists and on your stomach if you have it. If you come in contact with ticks and then get flu like symptoms get to the doctor for a check up asap!!!!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
If someone could explain why we have so many ticks after that polar vortex shit, I'd be interested.

It don't matter how cold our winters get, the ticks will still be here. I think it was on another thread where someone posted a study that was done involving ticks and extreme cold, I remember it saying that the turtle dick weather does not affect the ticks.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I loath ticks and have been fortunate enough to only have a few crawling on me in my life.