Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brick paver patios

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I started this awhile back. I know I posted a couple pics somewhere. Thought it deserved its own thread for anyone considering one of these projects. This one is a bit more advanced than most DIY might tackle. It is NOT a weekend project. A basic one level patio can be a 1-2 weekend project though depending upon available equipment and helpers.

I have plenty to clean up before my son's birthday party at 3 so here are some teaser pictures to stir questions. I will elaborate more later.

uploadfromtaptalk1401034644810.jpguploadfromtaptalk1401034666040.jpguploadfromtaptalk1401034682544.jpguploadfromtaptalk1401034700683.jpguploadfromtaptalk1401034747935.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Skid steer certainly helps. A good wet saw is a necessity as well. Mine is a 14" diamond blade. Great for paver bricks. Not big enough for the large blocks. Not dropping $4-5000 on one big enough for the blocks. I cut them, flip them over, and cut the rest of the way.

Here are the basics for a single level patio. Excavate the soil. Decide where you want the final height to be. Subtract the height of the bricks, up to 1" sand, and 4-6" base stone. This is the level you excavate down. Once cleared, you bring in a base stone layer. I use 4-11's. Put down 2" and compact with a plate compactor. You compact every 2" of stone you put down. You need to rake them fairly level before compacting. Once you have an adequate base (I went 6" of base) you use the sand for final level. You don't want over an inch. I used an inch in most places but some areas might have only seen 1/4". Lay out 1" PVC or rip down 2x4 to 1" thick and place it on the stone. Put the sand in and use another board to screed the sand much like in concrete work. Now you can begin placing the pavers on the screeded sand. I cut plywood chunks large enough to kneel on which disperses the weight of your body and prevents foot/knee prints in the sand. I also put a 1x1" chunk of wood on top of the plywood so I can grab them and pick them up to move them easier. Place the pavers in desired pattern. When you get to the outside edges you use the wet saw to cut the bricks as needed to make a clean line. Next you use more sand to broom it into the cracks. There is also a polymuric sand you can use which seals them tighter. It acts almost like a mortar when set up. It is also recommended to seal the pavers at a later date to prevent the color from fading and to protect the concrete in them.

This is a basic explanation. When you get into walls, and different levels, there are a host of other details i won't go into unless someone requests it. Hope you enjoyed. The last picture shows a decent idea of what it looks like with the compacted base, sand, and pavers being placed.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Cranked out the last 144sq ft of pavers today. Ran out of daylight so there is a section along the house to finish. Roughly 4-5' long by 1.5-2". Won't take long. Then I can sand in the pavers and run the plate compactor over them to work the sand in and help lock them in place. Maybe I will get to the landscaping around it in the fall. The next 4wks are booked solid. Hate to plant and not be home to water when we go on vacation. Hate to plant in July or August either.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Cotty- I don't drink much beer. You might have to bribe me with money. Lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here are some views from the kids swing set looking down. Final details is all that is left now. My wife is a happy camper. Surprised me with tickets for Old Crow Medicine Show for my birthday. uploadfromtaptalk1401192914829.jpguploadfromtaptalk1401192947354.jpguploadfromtaptalk1401192984032.jpguploadfromtaptalk1401193006817.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That patio is a dream one for me!! Been talking about putting just a fire pit out behind the deck and man this would fit the bill LOL!! You use fire type brick in the fire pit at all??

Yes. For anyone considering doing one of these, do NOT use just any old bricks. These are designed for fire pits. There is also a metal ring on the inside of them.

Bricks can have air pockets in them. When heated, it is possible for a brick to come apart. Potentially dangerous. Ensure any bricks you use are fire bricks.

Buckmaster

Portage
Looking good Phil,
I'm right behind you.

This past weekend I moved 100 ton of fill and 25 tons of gravel.
Leveling out the backyard for a deck, patio, and pole barn shortly.

Action photo:

Attachments

• Gravel.jpg
    Gravel.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 169

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Looks good Phil. Really dig that fire pit!

I have been considering a patio coming off our deck to give us a little more living space. If I thought we'd stay longer, it may have been done already.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What a great job Phil! This is very impressive man! I know those pavers ain't cheap! Awesome job and thanks for sharing!