Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dog fence

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I'll be hopefully closing on a house within the next month, and was thinking about what to do with my dog. There's no fenced in area and she's not gonna be an inside dog. I'd really like to get an underground fence for her. Do you guys have any experience with these. Good brands? Bad? I only will need like a half area perimeter for her.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have Innotek IUC 5100 system. The rechargable collar is much preferred over a battery collar. Most systems come with 20 gauge wire & there will be problems. I bought 16 gauge all weather heavy duty wire which is all the better. It comes in 14, 16 & 18 gauges. My yard is an acre, but this system will handle much more.

I had one for my lab
After a while I quit changing collar batterys
As he figured , if the collar was on
He had to stay in the yard

Not sure the current price of wire
But I agree go with a heavyer gau
Better in the long run

Buy a collar that has a wide range of settings and prong lengths
It maybe a bit on the harsh side
But after the dog knows the area he is suposed to stay in
It will test it
So I set the collar on MAX and the long prongs

My lab waited for a nice day and tryed to stray
The collar stopped him in his tracks and he turned and RAN back to his dog house

I turned the collar to med and the med prongs after that

I don't think he tested the collar after that

John

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We used to have Invisible Fence brand. Ran into problems and could never get the service from our dealer we needed. We switched to a Petsafe brand as well. Our local dealer is excellent. We were able to switch the settings to accommodate the dog. One of our dogs realized he could leave the yard and only receive a short zap which ended after he was far enough away from the wire. Our dealer changed the setting to where he would be zapped for 10 seconds whether he made it 10 feet or 10 miles. Now this dog respects the fence. Once he realized what was going on, we set the level to a small dog setting (75lb boxer).

As stated by someone, there are different versions of these fences. I doubt the $120 one will feature the same options as a $200-300-500 unit. Well worth the money in my opinion. We have liked ours really well.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
On the wonderful side of it all, I enjoy seeing the reaction of people that don't live in the immediate area come walking up our cul de sac in the evenings. I know & the dog knows that he won't cross over, but the people walking don't know & it's always fun to see their faces light up when they see him barreling down on 'em right before he stops. He wouln't hurt a flea, but they don' know it...:)

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Not sure of the make of some of the fences I have talked too over the years but a few had issues with lightning strikes that wiped em out..... Coincidence? I don't know, but are they being prone too that as well for the folks who have them?

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Some of of these systems anymore have a lightning protection devise that will act as a sacraficial sort of thing if it gets hit. Mine has it & I just helped one of my neighbors set their fence up over the weekend who has it also. I forget what brand theirs is, so perhaps it's something all of 'em have, I dunno.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If you go with the buried wire system, be sure to ground the unit.

My advice is still wireless though. The range is adjustable and I have had zero issues with it. As far as batteries lasting? If the dog doesn't test his boundaries that often, they will last a month or two. I always buy a large pack of them off Amazon.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Wireless can be good. I decided to go that route to begin with & even ordered a unit. It wasn't until it arrived that I dicovered your land needs to be pretty much level from what the instructions said, otherwise it won't be as effective. Also, your range is limited & won't conform to your boundries like a wire will. With the correct heavier gauge wire, it's not nessesary to bury it. The ground will soon overtake it anyhow, at least that's how I did mine for the most part.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't let the batteries scare you. I buy off amazon as well. Takes 2 of the thin round batteries. Can't remember number. Bought a 20 pack for under $10 over a year ago. Think I have used 4 or 6 of them so far.

Agreed on the lightning being a non-issue anymore. Ours came with a surge protector as well. I believe it is grounded too.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm two for three on beagles. My male that was a spunky little Fugger would just go up to the line, feel the zap, start itching his neck with his hind leg like he had a flea, and then bolt through like his ass was on fire.
My other two, no issues.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Our beagle learned quickly and minds it well. Ours gives off a warning beep prior to them getting zapped. You hear the beep and see her start backing up with that "oh shit" look on her face. lmao