Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey Numbers are in.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I haven't looked at stats year over year for comparison but it is interesting to me that 49% of the harvest occurred in week 1.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Alex and I didn't kill birds in Clark county this year. BAM! -31% decline in county harvest. lmao

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've heard some really good turkey hunters around here say numbers were down. I can't tell if they are or they aren't. It seemed about the same as most years on the farms I hunt.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Butler Country is down 21%. In my area it's not the lack of birds but IMHO it's too many birds. My thought is the Toms roost with and fly down with the hens. If you aren't lucky enough to be in the right place you are out of luck. My thoughts anyway.
2-3 weeks before season I seen flocks of 60 plus turkeys in my yard. They broke up just before season came in.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I didn't hear near the amount of gobbling I heard last year at our land so I didn't hunt there. I hunted 600 acres of land that is lightly hunted and heard quite a bit, but it varied, and I only hunted weekends.

Kaiser878

ohio
I think this year was just shuffled around because of the late spring. It seemed when u found the birds you found all the birds. One of the main farms I hunt didnt have hardly squat on it. But other properties had multiple birds.

I think with it.being a late spring they just didn't spread out like they normally do...until about the last week. As for.bird numbers being down.... I don't think in my area they were. I think this year was one.of the best gobbling years I've heard in a lonngggg time

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I agree Zach. Flocks didn't seem to beak up till late here. I wished I was still hunting the last week and my road sightings/displays confirmed how badly I wished I were still hunting last week.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I saw plenty of birds. The two counties I hunt the kill was the same as last year. First year since I started hunting I didn't fill both tags though. I hunted a certain bird till the last day. Just couldn't get em...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I didn't hear or see many birds this year. Maybe they just weren't on the farm I hunted very much this year. I didn't see a strutter from the road at all in all my traveling in and around my part of Warren county.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
We saw a lot less birds in Richland county, I managed to kill one first day, but overall our group didnt see half what we usually do.

PSE13

Shelby
Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it out at all this year! The last turkey I killed was back in 2009 in Colorado when I killed two birds with one shot.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I think weather wise it was a screwy yr . Birds dispersed from winter flocks late and were in the midst of peak breeding throughout the beginning of the season making it tough . I wouldn't jump to conclusions . I know I don't wanna see em reduce bag limits or do something else drastic but thats just me being selfish

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
If you guys ever think it's to easy to shoot a bird where you hunt your more then welcome to come hunt my neck of the woods. You will be lucky to see more then 5-6 birds together. Then you will need to drive a couple miles to find another small group. Did I mention that they don't gobble. They only make that soft pur as they look for food. I think the yote taught them to stay quiet or die.

Last edited: