Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

H&R Handi Rifle .444 marlin

Lundy

Had Vances order one for me yesterday to play with since it is now a legal deer caliber in Ohio.

I have been a bow, slug gun and MZ hunter forever. This center fire stuff is a little outside my knowledge base. Should be fun trying to get up to speed.

I looked long and hard trying to find a Ruger #1 in .375 Winchester or .444 to no avail. I guess since I could not find one I saved myself a bunch of money The Handi Rifle is very inexpensive, almost scary inexpensive:)

I have H&R's in the slug guns and they work great, I'm hoping the rifle shoots as well as they do. we'll see.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
To he best of my knowledge (limited at times) Ruger never chambered the #1 in 444 Marlin.

All the guys that have a H&R Handi Rifle like them. But the trigger can be iffy.

I plan on using a Marlin lever action in 45-70. Then I have a Ruger Deerslayer automatic rifle in 44 mag. for the grandsons. I've use both rifles on crop permits deer kills in years gone bye and both worked great.

Last edited:

Lundy

I happened across a H&R 357 maximum rifle in Indian this week so now I own that caliber also.

There is no ammunition and very limited brass available anywhere at this time. I was able to get a couple hundred cases on an auction site, paid way too much for it, but hey, what are you going to do? I'm helping the economy:)

I have never been a reloader. I will either take the NRA basic reloading courses I see advertised and learn or I'll find someone that knows what they are doing to reload it for me.

The 357 Maximum is a pretty interesting caliber with plenty of get up and go with a 180 gr bullet, without a lot of recoil.