Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What kind of snake?

joshobrien77

I'm in North pickaway county near a stream. These little guys keep showing up. I know he is not poison but can pin down the type. uploadfromtaptalk1400026783546.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm looking at it on my phone, can't say for sure... First guess; Northern Water snake. Not poisonous, but will make you bleed.

themedic

OHIO
Doesnt look like a common northern water snake to me. I'm not sure what it is though. Looks harmless though...leave him be

joshobrien77

Cool. He was mildly aggressive. Thought maybe an odd garter he had stripes the length of his body. Moved him to the stream. Seen quite a few of those this year.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Northern water snakes are aggressive compared to many. They are not at all afraid to strike, and it hurts like heck. Your hand will not swell up and fall off, but you'll wish you hadn't stuck it in his face if bitten.

Good chance this isn't a water snake, even after looking at it on my laptop I can't say for sure. Regardless, I'd either cut his head off or simply move on. Don't prick with "harmless" snakes unless you're into pain.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks like the ones I found tonight. One of them ended up in 3 pieces. The other I probably only got half of it. Hoping it is now dead as well.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
"Any" snake that surprises me is a DEAD snake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!