Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mason shot another one.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
:pickle:

Mason and I rolled out early this morning, again. We set up on a ridge where we nearly got it done last Tuesday only to hear a bird gobble on a high knob we had just walked by! We back tracked pretty quick and set up along an old road. There were two birds gobbling, but not very often. The mosquitoes enjoyed feasting on us while we waited, and wait we did! The birds did not pitch down until 7 am, and then we had to wait another 40 minutes or so with intermittent calling on both sides before he got a shot. I had the handycam rolling, got footage of a big longbeard at 20 yds or so all strutted up. Luckily for him, he stepped to the right just about the time a jake strutted to the left... BANG. :) It's been a fun season for us.

Here is a clip, not the best footage, but I'm no pro...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qctdwhhq3WI&feature=youtu.be

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
BtW, that's the big one that flies up to the right. Not that he really cared but Mason thought he shot the tom when he busted the strutting jake. :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks folks...
Aaron - he is due to throw an airball sooner or later, but he does seem to have a knack for keeping it together when he needs to. Yesterday was sort of the exception because he thought he shot the tom but actually shot a jake. You can see he let the first two jakes pass and busted the third, thinking it was the tom that was with them. Mistakes happen, I'm just glad he didn't bust the hen when she stuck her head up at 15 yds! Sure was a fun season and its a blast watching him grow and learn. Now if my daughter would just get back to her redneck roots life would be perfect! :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Friggin sweet guys! A great season indeed, filled with great memories and a lot of fun! Congrats.....

FYI - he killed this one about 100 yards towards the wildlife area from Bill's cabin, Ric. There is a huge flock in there during the fall but they disappear in spring until the second or third week of season. I've never figured out if its hunting pressure that moves them or changing food sources, but its generally useless to hunt it the first week or two. Strange birds.