Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2014 First Jake

The hens that kept hanging around brought me a tom (jake), this morning. I never called once and give the credit to the decoys...a jake and two hens, that I've been using all season.

I was set up on the edge of a freshly planted field (yesterday) with my jake and two hen decoys, at 18 yards. A hen popped out of the woods about 80 yards west of me with a jake in tow...along with 2 other hens. The first hen flopped down at 50 yards and started rolling around dusting herself. The jake stopped with her and I thought that was as close as they were going to get.

Then the jake took another look at the decoys and came over to take a closer look at the jake decoy. When he was about 10 feet from the jake decoy, I settled the fiber optic sight on the base of his neck and squeezed the trigger. At the blast of the muzzle the jake went down hard and never moved. I expected the hens to bust out of there, but they stood their ground, started clucking and walked over to see what the problem was with the jake.

I unzipped the blind door, stepped out and started clucking and yelping at the hens. I couldn't believe my eyes, as they walked over to me, still clucking and yelping back and forth with my calls. They walked to 8 yards of me, as I stood next to my ground blind and then they walked on into the woods. Amazing!

Bowhunter57

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Congratulations! Be sure to share your story the next time someone tells you turkeys are smart! :)

brock ratcliff said:
Be sure to share your story the next time someone tells you turkeys are smart! :)
brock ratcliff,
I've been saying that for years. Turkeys have all the excellent visual and hearing information FLOODING their little pea brains and they're not sure what to do with it. The only thing that keeps turkeys alive is their ability to be evasive. They're as giddy as a school girl and twice as nervous, because everything wants to eat a turkey. :smiley_breakdance:

Bowhunter57