Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

old half tail

yotehunter

spencerville oh
IMG_20140506_103743.jpg

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
What the heck happen to this tail feathers? Congrats on getting a monkey off your back, now go back and kill the head scratcher bird.

yotehunter

spencerville oh

OK here's they story. My buddy and I have been after this huge bird since the beginning of the season. So yesterday morning we was split up, one of us on the west side of the river one on the east side and we was going to try and get both north and south of the big bird. But when he pitched off the roost the big bird flew past me at least 200 yards to the north. And when this bird hits the ground its like the ground eats him up and he disappears. So I work my way north too get ahead of him and ambush him so I sit and watch and I called my buddy and told him whenever he was ready to go I will meet him at the truck just let me know when he is about out. So around 8 I here a gobble way off too my north. So I got up and I knew there was a few dikes I could work behind to close the gap so I went north. I get too were I wanted to be at the dike and the river. I yelped once to find him, and sure enough there was three of them that started hammering. I peek my head above the dike and there they stood in the field all three flowed up and strutting about three hundred yards away. They were back and forth and finally the the two big birds ran the smaller one out of the field. I clucked and purred softly and short. And they answer so without a decoy out it was a waiting game. They ended up coming by at 54 yards at a fast walk looking for the hen and when they came through my opening I shot the first one . It ended up being ( OLD HALF TAIL). We had seen this bird a couple other times and laughed at it and nicknamed it.. but I had no intention s on shooting him but I seen his beard and at a fast trot I didn't realize it was him lol . Them two birds gobbled their heads off and it was a fun way too tag out.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That's a good story! Glad you got it done, even if it wasn't the one you were after. Well done, sir!