Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Your morning strategy?

teej89

NE PA
I wondering what everyone's strategy is if you can't roost birds night before. I guess I'd say my "strategy" is get in well before sunrise get on a high ridge where I've heard them before and listen then make a move on birds that are gobbling. But if they aren't gobbling or responding to me I feel lost for the next two hours because nothing is talking. What do you guys do during this period?

Then around 9:30 or 10 I start putting the miles in trying to get one to respond which like last weekend fortunately worked out in my favor.

Also I'm on public land so hunting fields during that no gobbling time period is out for me. I can hunt power lines tho and I've seen hens on the power lines before too but no gobblers.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The birds at our farm roost in the same 2-3 spots, so I never roost birds. I just head out to that ridge early and listen for gobbles. Once I have a birds located, I set up accordingly. If I don't hear anything, I set up in our creek bottom because I know birds will hit that at some point. If I don't hear anything by 9, you can bet my ass is going to do something other than turkey hunt!

easy_e

SE Ohio
If I haven't roosted them, I get on a high point and either wait for them to start gobbling or hit the owl hooter. A lot of times you can get them to gobble early with the hooter. Then set up on them based off of that. If nothing gobbles on roost, I try to get to a field or a logging road and set up the decoys where a bird can see them from a good distance. If nothing else, I'll take a good nap until they lose the hens.