Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Time to ask the tough questions.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've been doing some thinking. Here shortly I am going to write every sportsman organization, hunter rights group, and club I can think of and ask them one question.

What actions has your organization taken to prevent whitetail reduction efforts across the Midwest? Please be precise and list specific examples of where you challenged a DNR, Farm Bureau, or Insurance company on their agenda of reducing whitetail deer numbers.

Obviously the above will be written in a more professional manner. If you guys could help me out by listing every organization both in the state and nationally that has anything to do with hunters I would appreciate it. I mean everyone. From the OBA to SCI. It's high time we see what they're made of and see where our dollars are better spent for issues that directly impact us. Farm Bureaus and insurance companies have damaged deer hunting in states across the Midwest more in the past 8 years than the antis have in 80. It's time to see what's being done about it.

I will create a new forum for this and each organization will have their own thread. Their individual thread will include both the initial email and any communication or lack there of I receive from them.

The biggest threat facing hunting today. It is not from anti-hunters, or anti-gun people. It's not the hippies, tree huggers, or or greenies. It's the anti-deer lobbyist and their bough and paid for political clout that no doubt has hold of not only our DNR but almost every once popular deer hunting state. It is they that are wearing down and rotting the sport we love from the inside. They're so devastating they're using those we trusted, our protectors, to accomplish their goals. It is they that will harm the hunter participation and desire so much that we will be too few to fight the antis when they really make a move.

They're not only the most dangerous due to their inside influence and obvious real impact. They're also the most dangerous because they continue to operate unchallenged. To my knowledge not a single organization has taken on a state farm bureau head on. They have the run of the place and have infiltrated DNRs to achieve their agenda across many states in the Midwest. Their impact on our sport is undeniable, blatant, and real. The real enemy is not outside the gates. It's amongst us. And doing quite well.

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
QDMA- you probably have them on your list but I have seen/heard a lot of debate about how they are a BIG reason for herd reductions, and they are not backing hunters like they say they will.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
B&C
P&Y
SCI
OBA
OBBC
QDMA
Outdoor Life
Field & Stream
Whitetails Unlimited
Deer & Deer Hunting
North American Whitetail
Buckmasters Trophy Records
US Sportsmens Alliance c/o Sean! lmao

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This move isn't going to make me many friends in high places. But those of you who know me well know that I'm not afraid to ask uncomfortable questions and call BS if they give me a PR answer.

Each organizations response and efforts will be graded A-F. I'll send out a site wide newsletter after the results are compiled. They'll also be posted here in their individual threads as well as on the front page. I will also be purchasing advertising space on other hunting related sites to further disseminate the results.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
RMEF - They have done a lot for elk reintroduction in many states over the years.

NSA - National sportsman association

USP - United sportsman of Pennsylvania

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Joe, imo, the first contact you should make is with Dr. Dave Samuel. He has been influencial over the last 4 decades, and he is highly concerned with the direction whitetail management has turned in recent years. He is on FB, message him and give him an idea of what you have in mind. He may like it, or may give you another direction to think about. Either way, do yourself a favor and get in contact with him.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I applaud your effort. Good luck to you. I hope you don't get any legal threats over this action.

Just waiting on the paperwork to come back for the Nonprofit 501(c)4 Political Action Committee, of which TOO will simply be a donor. They could sue the Org but not me or TOO. If they do I'll just dissolve it and start another. Should be next week.

Last edited:

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I wouldn't rule out some of the bigger name "Brands" in the industry either, ie Cabelas, Bass Pro, Realtree, Mossy Oak, Trial camera companies, mineral companies, food plot companies, bow companies, as well as tv sponsored shows. There's a lot of video documentation in the outdoor world and its failing "attempt" to lure new hunters into the sport when in reality it makes it very hard bc there's less game to seek. If all else fails just give Uncle Ted a call! :smiley_crocodile:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just heard a 1/2 hour outdoors show on 700WLW with host Chip Hart talk to a guest from a newly formed org. called Ohio Conservation Federation of Ohio. They have a website ohioconservationfederation.com as well. The guest speaker was Steve Gray who spent 31 years with the ODNR and also the chief at some point. They have other affliations that are joining up with them but to see they are you'll probably have to check out their website. Mr Gray said they will be working along with the ODNR trying to obtain more hunting land for the hunting sportsman and women in Ohio.

Since conservation is in their title I'd be interested to hear what their thoughts are on the subject.